Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
Unhappy Air conditioning wiring

I have tons of questions about my 74 Tradewinds. We bought this unit in Ohio and it did not have an airconditioner installed. We wanted to install one, but everyone has been asking us if it has wiring for the A/C. I don't know the answer and don't know how to find out. Can anyone here give me some pointers? This thing is beginning to look like a money pit. HELP!!!!!
chuman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
It should have the wiring installed from the factory.

check the circuit breaker panel; on mine, there are 2 20-amp circuits. One is for the air conditioner. the other is for "everything else". (all other 110volt a/c appliances and outlets).

If you can get a service manual (reprints are available), it'll tell you exactly where to find the other end of that wire, as measured back from the first main bow. (first "rib" of the trailer shell's frame...where the front "endcap" meets the roof of the trailer).

Or, you can just drop the ceiling panel and find it that way...it'll be tucked in somewhere just forward of the aft roof vent.

There is also a condesate drain tube in there, as well. It'll be found on the street side, tucked into the ceiling, and it runs down inside the wall just forward of the wheel well. This connects to air conditioners that have a drain pan (not all of them do) and drains the water onto the ground, instead of letting it drip onto the roof and down the side of the trailer.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuman70
I have tons of questions about my 74 Tradewinds. We bought this unit in Ohio and it did not have an airconditioner installed. We wanted to install one, but everyone has been asking us if it has wiring for the A/C. I don't know the answer and don't know how to find out. Can anyone here give me some pointers? This thing is beginning to look like a money pit. HELP!!!!!

Please post the trailer serial number.

I will then post the exact location of the wiring in the ceiling.

All Airstream trailers built from 1964 on up, have the AC wiring in the roof.

The key is the exact location which depends on the year and length.

You will still need to add two horizontal stiffners between the two "main bows," so that the weight of the AC will not cave the roof in.

No need to pull any panels.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
What a great resource this forum is! I'm new to 'streaming but can't wait to get this thing ready to go camping. Everyone had told me how much trouble it would be to connect A/C if there was no wiring, but I feel a little better about it now. The Serial number is L25T4J1913. Any help you could offer would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
What a great resource this forum is! I'm new to 'streaming but can't wait to get this thing ready to go camping. Everyone had told me how much trouble it would be to connect A/C if there was no wiring, but I feel a little better about it now. The Serial number is L25T4J1913. Any help you could offer would be GREATLY appreciated!!
All dimensions are from "station zero," which is the very first main bow. The first main bow is at the forward edge of the awning rail.

The AC wiring is located, on your 74 25 foot twin bed Airstream, between 98 and 101 inches, rearward of station zero.

Cut a small hole in the center of the roof at that dimension. A 3 to 4 inch hole is adequate. "DO NOT" cut the hole with a saw. Instead, use tin snips, so you eliminate the risk of cutting the wire.

You can reach in that hole with a clothes hanger to grab the wire. There should be about 2 feet of wire that will extend thru the hole.

The other (business end) of the wire is located within the circuit breaker panel. Or, if not, then remove the breaker panel as the wire could be immediately behind the breaker panel within the wall.

Please remember, that you "must" beef up the roof by adding horizontal supports between the 2 main bows. Those supports should be fastened to the main bows to eliminate any movement.

Suggest you consider a Carrier low profile 15,000 BTU AC. For the money, it's the best on the market especially when you consider the "air shower" and the "oscillating louvers."

Andy
Old 05-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
All dimensions are from "station zero," which is the very first main bow. The first main bow is at the forward edge of the awning rail.

The AC wiring is located, on your 74 25 foot twin bed Airstream, between 98 and 101 inches, rearward of station zero.

Cut a small hole in the center of the roof at that dimension. A 3 to 4 inch hole is adequate. "DO NOT" cut the hole with a saw. Instead, use tin snips, so you eliminate the risk of cutting the wire.

You can reach in that hole with a clothes hanger to grab the wire. There should be about 2 feet of wire that will extend thru the hole.

The other (business end) of the wire is located within the circuit breaker panel. Or, if not, then remove the breaker panel as the wire could be immediately behind the breaker panel within the wall.

Please remember, that you "must" beef up the roof by adding horizontal supports between the 2 main bows. Those supports should be fastened to the main bows to eliminate any movement.

Suggest you consider a Carrier low profile 15,000 BTU AC. For the money, it's the best on the market especially when you consider the "air shower" and the "oscillating louvers."

Andy
Andy,

Are you installing the Carrier Low Profile units directly to the roof, or do you use the Dometic plastic drip pan?

Thanks!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Andy,

Are you installing the Carrier Low Profile units directly to the roof, or do you use the Dometic plastic drip pan?

Thanks!
You cannot use the Dometic pan with the Carrier.

Secondly, the Carrier does not need a drip pan.

The Carrier is mounted directly to the roof, with a gasket in between.

Andy
Old 05-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
Does this install in place of one of the ceiling vents or will a hole have to be cut? Do you have a diagram of the rib structure I can look at? I'm just a little bit lost about where to look for the wire.
Thanks!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
One other thing, you mentioned horizontal suuports. How do you install them and where can I get them?
Thanks again!!
Old 05-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
One other thing, you mentioned horizontal suuports. How do you install them and where can I get them?
Thanks again!!
You "never" install an AC in a ceiling vent in any Airstream.

That is "not" where the wire is at.

Horizontal stringers are made from aluminum sheeting. You can use a "Z" channel or a "C" channel.

Anyone can make them.

Some people use lumber. That "IS NOT" a good idea. How do you rivet aluminum to wood?

Andy
Old 05-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
Thanks for the info!!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Newbies: Listen up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

The AC wiring is located, on your 74 25 foot twin bed Airstream, ...
I am constantly impressed with the experience Andy has chosen to share on this forum. I doubt there is another Airstream professional who knows this type of detail.

I have certainly never seen one share it so freely.

Kudos to Andy.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
TomW,
I noticed you live over in Normal. Do you know of anyone you would trust in the Florence/Decatur/Huntsville area to install a roof A/C in my 74 Tradewind?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
chuman70,

Sorry, but I have no experience with any of the RV service departments in the area you listed. I did a have really good local man install a new compressor in my Armstrong A/C, but he was not in the RV service business.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Muscle Shoals , Alabama
OK. Thanks anyway.