Old 06-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Montrose , Colorado
Air Conditioning/Evaporative Cooler Suggestions

Please help

My Coleman ac unit compressor keeps shutting off after about 4 hours and blows hot air. The outside temp has been in the mid 90's. This has been one of my biggest concerns when leaving my dogs alone while I am at work and this nightmare happened fortunately while I was home otherwise my dogs would have perished.

I am looking for suggestions for a portable ac unit or evap cooler to use instead of the Coleman ac unit so I don't have to worry about the pups when I am at work.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

Evaporative coolers raise humidity. They are not ideal for dogs.

Dogs pant to evaporate water from their mouth and tongue, and high humidity from a cooler will interfere with that to an extent. We don't really trust evaporative coolers to keep our dogs comfortable.

Other thoughts on this?

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Evaporative coolers are great at cooling the air, so the pups should enjoy coolness so not need to pant as much. Sleeping in a van that has been cooled by evaporation will tend to be clammy, so while it's still warm out get the water out of the equation. Just blow LOTS of outside air thru to get the last of the high ambient moisture out. Timing is difficult as it will feel nice inside still but if you wait too long it's gonna be moist all night.

You can get as much as 30 degrees cooler air from an evaporative cooler AND air circulation. This is difficult on an RV using AC. It is often difficult to get ahead of the curve on running the AC. If you don't get the heat out starting in the morning you may be hot all day. With an evaporative cooler you get cool air coming from outside that pushes the heated inside air away. BUT if it's too hot outside it may not be much better until sundown.

I was just looking at getting a portable cooler from my RV at home depot, they were less than $200. But you have to set it up to draw air from outside only. Otherwise it pulls air in a loop and won't get it much cooler. There is an RV specific evaporative cooler, Turbo Kool. Only $600. It takes the place of one of your ACs or one of your fans. Sadly I only have one of each. If I had just ONE more, I might spend the money. It lives on the roof and pulls air in thru a matrix that has water spun onto it by the fan blades. Clever.

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska

E coolers do not work well in humid climates. So unless you are 400 miles west of the Missouri River and north of Dallas Ft Worth you will not have much success.
The portable units don't draw air from outside into the coach. The outside air is used to discharge the hot air to the outside from the heat exchanger.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
All true. Plus if you don't keep them clean you will have musty moldy smelling air coming in when you turn them on. They are useless in areas that the air is already maxed out on humidity as they way they cool is by changing water into water vapor which cools the air by as much as 30 degrees. So on a 100° day they blow as cold as 70° air, but it could also be 99° air if there isn't much cooling to be had. A/C will pull the moisture out of the inside air and also get as much as 30° of cooling, but requires much energy. Swamp coolers can run on battery. You may need two A/Cs to keep a trailer larger than a Bambi cool on a 100° day in the sun, and almost no amount of solar will provide enough power to run them.

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Agree with the posts above. Even in Albuquerque, NM where humidities used to run ~6% in the summer the rates have gone up as the city has expanded and probably some of it is climate change. This has pushed people to install true A/C's in their homes (a compressor driven system). Swamp coolers are problematic also because they depend on water to be constantly available and the equipment that goes with it - float, pump, pads, etc.. On top of that - water not only evaporates but it freezes also. We installed a compressor unit on our home 2 seasons ago and would not even consider a swamp cooler here in Colorado. Same with our trailer - we went with a standard unit with a compressor. I recommend an active pump which pumps the condensate out so you don't get a leak into your trailer. It isn't the cheap route but it is a longer term solution and it's once and done.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Back in the day, swamp coolers, if you were lucky enough to have one, was all there was. They were a great big cube, mounted on the roof, in place of today's AC's.

Tom
Old 06-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
sounds like your coil is freezing up. check filter and make sure coil is clean. I have a two stage master cooler on my house here in Phoenix and it keeps the house (3000sq ft) mid 70s even when its 115 outside, Lucky the dew point is in single digits.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Swamp coolers only work if you have a constant flow of low humidity outside air going through them and out the other side of the space to be cooled. Also can use a surprising amount of water in a day. I am a big fan of swamp coolers but they have their limitations and the small portable or RV type are not very good. It would be hard to go too big on a swamp cooler but really easy to not have enough pad area or air volume to keep you comfortable. When the outside temp in the climate where I live gets up around 100 swamp coolers are putting out 80 to 85 degree humid air which is OK if you are in the shade. When it gets over 100 degrees it's time to shut off the swamp cooler and turn on the roof AC. You can't use both at the same time because you overwhelm the AC. To me shade is the # 1 factor for where to park. And you need a low humidity climate to be happy with an evaporator cooler. You might be best off if you find out why the roof top compressor is cutting out and getting a small window AC unit as a back up and/or supplement. Your Coleman unit may need cleaning or you may have low voltage. It should not quit like that so something is not right.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Montrose , Colorado
This is probably a question I should know the answer to but...are the coils under the shroud on the unit atop my rig?