Old 12-30-2003, 11:20 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

air conditioning cowling and vent disintegration

My 66 Sovereign has a disintigrating air conditioning cowl I was wondering if anyone is aware of where I could get a replacement new or used? I reside in CANADA so might be a little more difficult to lay my hands on. I would also like to find a top side vent (the one for the refrigerator) as this has disintigrated as well. I have MaGuyvered one for now until I can find a replacement. thanks for any help

Old 12-30-2003, 11:41 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Inland RV

I think you can get both at Inland RV.

Just type in www.inlandrv.com and go to parts section
Smily

Old 12-30-2003, 12:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

RickJ,

If you need what I call the plastic end caps for the Armstrong a/c unit, we have ours and you are welcome to them if you want to pay for shipping. They need a coat of paint, otherwise are in good shape. We no longer have the main shroud that covers the a/c unit itself, tho.
We have no need for them, since we put a 75 watt solar panel on our '67 Globetrotter where the a/c'er was.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Question Hidden AC unit under your Airstream?

I haven't taken too much time to search various archives, but I remember reading - well over a year ago - a fascinating thread about AC units....

It referred to a guy who didn't want a big AC compressor marring the look of his vintage Airstream's streamlined silhouette, so he installed a small unit underneath his front dinette, (or gaucho, or whatever.) It was somehow vented to the outside, perhaps through a hole in the belly pan and I thought it'd be really sleek to have the cold air pumped through flexable ducting between the inner and outer skin, and come out flush mounted vents in the ceiling. (I'm guessing it would be less tricky than putting AC into a hundred year old house with plaster and lathe walls and ceilings, which people do all the time.)

I don't know remember any further details, but since we're doing a total gut rehab on our GT, I think this is an idea we'll definitely want to persue. It's possible this was at the Tom Patterson archives, so maybe I'll look through those as well. Let me know if you recognize the topic of which I speak! Thanks!
Old 12-30-2003, 01:36 PM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
I recall

I have followed discussion on AC below decks and it seems to me that there was a ground clearance problem preventing the installation.

Smily
Old 12-30-2003, 01:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I can imagine a ground clearance problem if it were indeed completely below the floor level, but I don't recognize how the way I described (under the front couch) could still pose a ground clearance problem.

Those front dinette seats seem to be around 2 feet above the floor, leaving plenty of room for a small AC window unit... I'm staring at one in my closet at this very moment that can't be more than 13" tall. That's not much bigger than all the black, gray, white water tanks, and the various water heaters, pumps, etc. that are scattered below and behind various cabinets and sofabeds.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:58 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Re: Inland RV

Quote:
Originally posted by smily
I think you can get both at Inland RV.

Just type in www.inlandrv.com and go to parts section
Smily
Thanks big time I will check this out. It is one of the few things that detract from the look of the trailer. I don't use the air conditioning at all I find with the windows open beside the river and an oscilating fan I have no real need for the AC unit.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:04 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Coloradobus
RickJ,

If you need what I call the plastic end caps for the Armstrong a/c unit, we have ours and you are welcome to them if you want to pay for shipping. They need a coat of paint, otherwise are in good shape. We no longer have the main shroud that covers the a/c unit itself, tho.
We have no need for them, since we put a 75 watt solar panel on our '67 Globetrotter where the a/c'er was.
Thank you very much for the offer it is the main cowl that is disntegrating. I will check out the website suggested to me and get back to you on the offer. I will post a couple of pictures from home as well so that you can see exactly what I am referring to. (I work for Department of National Defence during the day and cannot post form there)