Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
Air conditioner went south...

We just lost our AC and I was looking for opinions on which brand to buy? We have a 13,500 btu now and we want to up grade to the 15,000btu unit for our 34 footer.
Bing-Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
No advice just wanted to welcome you to the A/C replacement club. We are about to head to Springfield MO to replace our 1975 a/c. I am sure someone will be along soon with advice.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing-Bing View Post
We just lost our AC and I was looking for opinions on which brand to buy? We have a 13,500 btu now and we want to up grade to the 15,000btu unit for our 34 footer.
Do you have a Penguin a/c on your trailer now? If so, does it have a remote thermostat? If it does, you can get a replacement Penguin 15k for your trailer. Other than that, your choices can be counted on two fingers, neither are ideal. One is a Brisk Air, the other is an AirXcell (formerly Coleman). Both of them will dump the condensate over the side, rather than a drain hose.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Whats wrong with the original AC ?

They can be repaired,

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
Well what a surprise. We drove 400 miles from Lubbock to Colorado and tried the A.C and it worked fine. Yesterday morning after running all night it wasn't blowing cool air or any air for that matter. It just sounded like a bunch of marbles rattling around up there so I figured it quit on us. Maybe it "froze up"? It did drain out water most of the day from the hose as we drove along. I was going to have someone inspect it before replacing it Andy and was hoping it could be fixed. Thank you all for responding.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
Ours also went south. Too bad. We tried the AC once when it was cool outside (having only owned it since January) and it seemed to work but when we needed it (North Carolina to Florida and west to New Mexico) nothing but fan. We were going to wait until returning home to have it fixed but gave up at 100 degrees and are awaiting a replacement part and will, hopefully, have it repaired Tuesday in Carlsbad, NM.

We have worked hard keeping the trailer cool and letting in the breezes at night. Using a fan from Walmart and the Fantastic fan has provided a reasonable nights sleep. Only problem was when we got in a wind storm in Texas and had to close up the vents and windows.

We look forward to the repair and will spend an additional night near the service center to make sure everything works properly before hitting the road. BTW, we are replacing our Penguin compressor with the latest compatible upgrade.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
We look forward to the repair and will spend an additional night near the service center to make sure everything works properly before hitting the road. BTW, we are replacing our Penguin compressor with the latest compatible upgrade

That's interesting..........as every modern RV roof A/C unit does NOT have process valves on it that will allow one to service the unit in the way you describe.

By the time piercing valves are added (federal EPA requirement is to remove all refrigerant pursuant to a $10,000 fine for knowingly releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere), the system drained, the compressor replaced, new Schrader valves soldered in place of the temporary piercing valves (this MUST be done or I guarantee that your system will leak!) purge the system with nitrogen while checking for leaks with a leak-down test and finally re-charging the system with the proper amount of refrigerant, YOU WILL BE BETTER OFF PURCHASING A NEW DOMETIC REPLACEMENT UNIT WITH A NEW WARRANTY.

These units are hermetically sealed at the factory and are not designed to be repaired, other than replacing a blower motor, relay board, capacitors, etc. The refrigerant system has no valves on it for a reason.

Better check the qualifications of the person doing the work (ARI license?), the warranty they will give you for the repair, and be sure that you are getting soldered Schrader valves. If you compare the costs involved with this repair vs. a new unit with a 2+3 year optional full replacement warranty, you might be surprised at the results.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
I probably should have used the word replacement versus part. They indicated that the unit had to be replaced and couldn't be rapaired. I will check on the soldered Schrader valves and warranty. The new unit is being shipped motor freight. I appreciate the tips.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
Just a quick follow-up. The service center replaced the entire unit and it works very well. They "forgot" to flip the dip switch for the furnace which meant the thermostat didn't recognize the furnace, but that was an easy fix for me to make (after reading the installation instructions) and now everything is working as it should.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by idmtman View Post
Just a quick follow-up. The service center replaced the entire unit and it works very well. They "forgot" to flip the dip switch for the furnace which meant the thermostat didn't recognize the furnace, but that was an easy fix for me to make (after reading the installation instructions) and now everything is working as it should.
Did you re-set your CCC thermostat after flipping the dip switch?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
Yes, and everything is working properly. Thank you.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
No advice, Perry. I just wanted to say that it was nice meeting you and chatting the other day at the campground. Best of luck wityour air conditioner.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
The pleasure was all mine Brian and it was nice to see "Lucy" up close. Have a safe trip...