Old 03-18-2004, 07:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Air conditioner thermostat working?

The Coleman Delta TX air conditioner works efficiently to cool our trailer, but I'm not sure that the thermostat is working. The fan blower runs constantly and cold air blows out, but I never hear any part of the system cutting in or out. When the trailer is cool enough, we switch off the unit. There is a low/high cooling setting on a knob, but turning this does not appear to have any effect. Air conditioning systems are new to me, as an inhabitant of an island where 80 degrees is rare, even at the height of summer. Should I hear the compressor cutting in or out, or does the compressor just work at different rates for different amounts of cooling? If the thermostat is defective, is this an isolated part that is replaceable? Thanks. Nick.

Old 03-18-2004, 07:54 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Nick,

It sounds like the thermostat or the relay that it is attached to, may be bad. The compressor should cut out when the desired temp is reached. The fan may or may not continue to blow depending on the unit.

If starting the unit , getting cold air, you should be able to turn the thermostat to the highest setting and get the compressor to cut out.

The thermostat is a replaceable part. Most US RV dealers would be able to get it for you, I have no idea if they would be available in England.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Brett, thank you. My trailer is in North Florida, so I can get parts next fall when I return. I have listened for a change in sound, but cannot hear anything. The fan is very loud, but I expect I am hearing a constant fan plus compressor. I will find the thermostat, disconnect it, run the AC, see if the noise changes, and then aim to understand what is going on. Thanks again. Nick
Old 03-18-2004, 01:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
The fan will run continuously on all but the Classics. You should be able to both hear and feel the compressor cycling. It will rock the trailer skightly when it starts and a bit less when it cuts off, especially if the stabilizers are not down.

The thermostat on my old International failed and it worked just as you describe. I could hang meat in the trailer at night and my wife slept under 3 blankets. With a new thermostat, it was fine.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 04:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

John, thanks for that. So that's why your trailer was rocking. I've fitted a battery powered wall-mounted digital thermostat to control the furnace, and this thermostat is also able to control cooling. I assume the AC is switched by a relay, which is switched by a low current through the thermostat. If I intercept these switch wires, I assume I could lengthen them and connect them to the wall thermostat. I could pass the wires over the roof and down the refrigerator vent, or try to feed a wire between the skins to the back of thee refer, which is close to the wall thermostat. Would this work? Has anyone done this? Any advice?Thanks. Nick.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:00 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
It depends on if the thermostat is a high current device or not. If it is a low current device it would work. Most thermostats have low voltage contacts.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Nick, sounds like you are back in England! Give me a ring when you come back next fall and I will help you troubleshoot it. PM me and I'll give you my Florida landline number.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Thanks a lot, Mike. Will do. Nick.