Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
la mesa , California
Air Conditioner Stopping In Hot Weather

2005 30' Classic So

Ambient Temp About 115 (borrego Springs, Ca) And Air Cond Cuts Out. Can Restart In 1-2 Hrs But Cuts Out Again. Try To Keep Interior Temp About 20-25 Degrees Cooler Than Ambient Temp. No Shade Available.

Any Suggestions?
vetdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Stopgap Solution

I was having the same problem. As a stopgap solution till I could order a new AC, I put some foggers on the roof to help cool the trailer and the AC. See the following thread:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...fog-35119.html.

Use the search function to check other threads about AC problems. There has been a lot of activity this summer.

My good news is that my new Carrier 15,000 Btu heat pump ships today! I will be able to retire the foggers and setup the drip system to my plants.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Fans and all?
Or only compressor?

Fans still running could be low power or overfilled freon, which results in pulling more power and shutting off compressor.

If everything shuts down...and then back on...I'm not sure.

My 1988s are still putting out.
A freon change, not charge, really helps.
Told by AC service that some parts of the freon gas can be lost?
Never heard that before, but did make improvement.
Anyway, just had mine changed, and outlet temp was 30^ lower than intake.

When AC was overfilled, the compressor would shutdown after only a minute or less.
Gas pressure was adjusted (reduced) untill minimum outlet temp was reached...52^
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I had a similar problem and found what I believe to be my problem in this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ool-33741.html

I dropped my AS off at the nearest AS dealer this weekend for warranty repair. BTW, there is a two year AS warranty on bumper to bumper except batteries and tires. There is a two year parts and labor on A/C and a three year parts only on the A/C. Whatever the cause, your's is probably covered by the three year parts warranty and, depending on purchase date, might slide in under the two year warranty. You can take it to any AS authorized service center or to any Dometic authorized service center...assuming it is a Duo-therm. If it is Carrier, I don't know the warranty on those.

You may also find that running the fan on high instead of auto may help prevent tripping the breaker. There is less voltage draw in starting the compressor only than starting the compressor and fan. Sometimes when the voltage is low coming in due to so many A/C's running in the campground when your unit starts it doesn't get enough voltage and trips the breaker.

You can also try turning the unit off, pressing the mode button and holding it in while you turn the on/off switch back on. That resets the control panel. If it is OK you get FF in the panel display. Anything else means the control panel is fried and needs to be replaced. It is better explained toward the end of the above linked thread.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote