Old 07-03-2003, 11:14 AM   #15
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally posted by david laxson
Tim, from what I gathered from your web site you installed the a/c yourself. Besides taking off the old unit was it difficult to install ?

David
Not at all. Of all the projects I have tackeled, and there have been many on my basket case of a trailer , the a/c replacement was pretty tame.

I did have to have a little help getting it up on the roof. My brother and I used two ladders and walked it up and set it on the roof. Next we got on the roof and lifed the a/c in place in the drain pan. I had already set the drain pan in place with a nice thick bead of vulkem around the opening.

Just a few bolts and the wiring....

BTW, the drain pan works great! Our last trip was hot enough out to use the a/c and create a lot of condenstation. There was a big puddle under the trailer that worried me for a moment until I realized it was supposed to be there

I love it when a plan comes together....

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 11:14 AM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by david laxson
Another question for you fellow Airstreamers !

I called Camping world to schedule a time to have a 15,000 btu Duo-Therm installed. I was told my this person that only the low profile "Penguin" would work. They said they could try to use the standard Duo-Therm Dometic, but couldn't guarntee it would match up to the drip pan. Anybody come across this ? I've put a call into Airstream and haven't gotten a respose yet.

David
There is a 15,000 BTU Penguin unit available. Maybe Camping World doesn't stock this model.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 05:47 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Rivet

Tim, I've purchased the 15,000 dometic penguin and have ordered the vulkem, which should be in early next week. I'm going to install it my self since CampingWorld wanted $300.00 + to do it. You were right about the 100 rivets to remove the old Armstrong unit. Did you just re-rivet the old holes to seal them up ? Also, did you run a bead of Vulkem anywhere else besides the 14 x 14 opening ?

FYI I was able to pick-up the 15,000 btu Penguin from an independent dealer with all the accessories for $900.00 . Airstream wanted $1,800 without installation for the same unit.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:56 PM   #18
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
a/c replacement

Basicly the answer is yes.

I put in olympic rivets with vulkem on each one as I put them in. I did not use the ones with the built in gasket as they seem to not seat right to me.

I put a nice thick bead of vulkem around the 14" opening and squished the drain pan straight down on top of it. The a/c was carfully set in the drain pan with no more shifting. Pick it up and move it if you need to correct the alignment.

The a/c has its own gasket which you tighten the mounting bolts to compress it evenly as the instructions say.

No other vulkem was used on my install.

You should also blow out the drain tube before installing with an aircompressor just for good measure.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote