Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Air conditioner shroud repair for 1974 Sovereign

The shroud covering the roof air conditioner is cracked on my 1974 Sovereign. Can the damaged area be fiberglassed successfully or is there another material I can use to repair the crack in the shroud? The entire shroud is brittle due to Florida sun exposure. I would replace the shroud if I could locate one but due to it's age, I'm sure that is not possible. Any advice is appreciated.
Tom Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Take a look at Inland RV for a replacement: Inland RV Center Inc.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I used drywall tape which is a mesh as it already had glue and I wanted a thin layer for strength, auto store sells bondo, two part body repair and a coat of paint makes it look like new. If you really want to make it better than new you would have to coat the whole interior with a layer of fiberglass and resin,but it would double the weight.

I won't park under black walnut trees again, Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds Hiawassee in the fall
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I had a few cracks in the shroud of our 1979 AC cover. It was still in good shape, just aging. My concern was that the attachment points would crack off and we would lose it on the road and cause an accident to a following vehicle.

I took some aluminum strips and angle and made an inside frame that connected the 4 bolts on top with a frame the ran the entire base circumference. I used rivets to attach to the plastic shroud at 3 inch intervals.

The cracks that had started in the base at the corners, I used PVC glue (in plumbing area of box stores in little metal jars). This helped seal the cracks so they didn't keep running. We had also lost a few of the areas of plastic that were folded at the base. The aluminum angle replaced that area as well.

Here are some photos of the frame and you can see the cracks:

After painting and structural fixes:

Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign