Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
1978 23' Safari
Folsom , California
Question Air Conditioner replacement for 78 Safari

I have a 78 Safari that no longer blows any cold air. I am told that it most likely needs to be replaced. The AC unit does not appear to be technically difficult to replace. Does anyone know of a drop in replacement model. One RV service quoted me $630 to install a Coleman mach III but when I arrived they told me they could not install it because of the Plenum dimensions.

I had other quotes for replacement for Carrier and a Dometic models at $1400 and $1200 respectively (includes labor).

Does anyone else have any suggestions or experience with a 78 or similar models a/c replacement?
bacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacevedo View Post
I have a 78 Safari that no longer blows any cold air. I am told that it most likely needs to be replaced. The AC unit does not appear to be technically difficult to replace. Does anyone know of a drop in replacement model. One RV service quoted me $630 to install a Coleman mach III but when I arrived they told me they could not install it because of the Plenum dimensions.

I had other quotes for replacement for Carrier and a Dometic models at $1400 and $1200 respectively (includes labor).

Does anyone else have any suggestions or experience with a 78 or similar models a/c replacement?
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roof air units use a standard 14" X 14" opening, and any modern roof air will fit that opening with no problems!

It usually takes me 1.0-1.5 hours to change out a roof air. Airstreams require a little bit more 'care' while doing the install, but ant well qualified RV tech worth their salt should be able to do it for you.

IMHO, Dometic has the best warranty in the business with the best tech support, should you encounter a problem.

The prices you listed seem a little high Also, Coleman is now known as RVP and their roof units will fit your opening as well. I don't sell many of these, but I believe that the 'Mach 3' is an older design unit. I might suggest the Dometic Duotherm Penguin low profile, or the Carrier Air V low profile units.

Pick which unit you want and then find a reputable service cener to do the install.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I think '78 was still one of the years when the a/c unit was riveted to the roof. If so, the rivets will have to be removed and holes from them filled with rivets so they don't leak when it rains. Add at least an hour to the update time for removing and reriveting the 60+ holes.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
BTW, what type of unit is it? It may be a simple re-charge issue if it's an old Armstrong. None of the modern units can be re-charged, but the older ones surely can, and you might save yourself a lot of $$$$$ and headache if it is.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Yes, the 78's were riveted to the exterior skin...I just replaced the original AC unit on our Ambassador, did all the work myself...it wasn't all that difficult, just took some time to get the old unit removed, etc.

I went with the Carrier unit...the standard height unit...didn't want to pay the add'l $200 of so for the lower clearance model...If I was doing it again, I'd probably go for the lower model now, as they look better, IMHO.

I had to modify the interior trim panel to accommodate the curve of the AS ceiling...that was a pain!