Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Air Conditioner Replacement 34 ft 1990

The air conditioner in our 34 ft AS is not cooling in 90 degree weather so it isn't going to handle 100 degree temps. Can these units have freon added or due to the age is replacement the better option? If replacement can anyone recommend a proven AS repair service near SC?

Thanks
Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I had ours replaced on our 1988, 32'. Our old unit was still charged but the outside fan and shaft rusted off. Cost was about $1300 done on site at our winter campground. I do not think one AC will handle a 34 in 100 degree weather. Maybe 2 would not either. When it is pretty hot we close the hall door and just cool the front during the day and early evening. I try to avoid camping where it is really hot. It is not a difficult job but the installer must have the right curved cowl and pay attention to cleaning and hooking up the drain line and of course the caulking.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitique View Post
The air conditioner in our 34 ft AS is not cooling in 90 degree weather so it isn't going to handle 100 degree temps. Can these units have freon added or due to the age is replacement the better option? If replacement can anyone recommend a proven AS repair service near SC?

Thanks
Jane
I talked with the A/C service guy who works on our home unit about servicing the unit on the Airstream, and he said, "No problem."

Then I told him it didn't have a service port on it, and he said, "No problem, I'll put one on it."

So, if you find the right A/C service guy, yes they can be serviced.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
The air conditioner in our 34 ft AS is not cooling in 90 degree weather so it isn't going to handle 100 degree temps.
Depending on where you camp it may or may not work. My personal opinion is that a single AC unit will not keep you comfortable anywhere in the SE if you are in the full sun.

Quote:
Can these units have freon added or due to the age is replacement the better option?
Many repairmen will not service them...either way, get a quote both ways prior to proceeding.

Quote:
If replacement can anyone recommend a proven AS repair service near SC??
There is a HUGE (and expensive) learning curve when working on an AS AC. Whatever you do, make sure a proper drip pan connected to a drain tube is installed.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to spclkaz
In another post, I recently mentioned that I just replaced the original AC unit on my 94 Front Kitchen Excella. I called several RV repair shops in the Phoenix area and all were willing to do it until I mentioned the word "Airstream". Many dealers do not have the expertise or desire to work on Airstream ACs. I ended up taking it to the AS dealer in Mesa where they installed a new Dometic Penquin 1500 for what I thought was a reasonable cost with labor. Best of all, it looked like a professional job when they were done (though they were not fast and had to order in the unit.) Like the previous poster said... finding someone with EXPERIENCE with AS AC units may be more important in the long run than intial cost.

...just saying...
spclkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Thanks for the help. I think the challenge will be finding a AS service provider.
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote