Old 08-18-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Venice , Florida
Question Air Conditioner Question/Problem???

When my AS '79 trailer is plugged in for electrical power at a campground/park (shore line with direct connection), the air conditioner works on fan and cooling at all speeds with no problems.
However, if I plug the shore line with the proper 30 amp. adapter into a grounded extension cord and plug the extension cord in at home, the air conditioner will run fine on fan at all 3 speeds, but as soon as I turn the air conditioner to cool, it blows the circuit breaker in the trailer lavatory.
What causes this and is there anything I can do to rectify the problem? Does this mean it's time for a new air conditioner? Tell me "no", please!

pscottn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 02:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master
LOST , Hawaii
What size extension cord and home circuit? Sounds like one or both are too small if it is working on the campground circuits.

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 02:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Too many amps

Older AC's in fact do draw more amps than newer ones.

I would suspect that you are using too light of an extension cord.

The 30 amp lines are usually 8 or 10 guage. If you positively must have an extension cord, get at least an 8 guage. These are available at Mobile Home parts dealers.

Get the absolute minimum length that would be necessary for your proposed hookup.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 03:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Household outlets and the associated plugs are only rated for 15 amps. Your AC will draw close to that by itself. Throw in the 12 v converter, and any other amperage draw and you probably exceed that. Now consider the loses in the extension cord, and you will see that you are trying to get more power than the lines can accomodate.

j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 07:48 AM   #5

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
...and beware of the "rv extension cords" that they sell at Wally-world. I was just in there looking at them, and while they "look" super-heavy-duty, on closer inspection, I could see clearly stamped into the insulation "16/3". which is very "light-duty".

I don't know why they'd go to the trouble of making these things with such heavy insulation; what the heck is that gonna do? the things were huge...probably as big, or almost as big around as the 10/3 cord in the trailer.

I've used a 12/3 extension cord without any problem, although most probably wouldn't recommend it. Perhaps the electrical guru's could explain it again....but the heaviest wire in my trailer is 12/3. I've got 12/3 runs in my house that are longer than this extension cord.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 10:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Air conditioner question

We had a similar problem when we tried to plug in our 78 Minuet into our garage circuit through a 15 amp ground fault receptacle. Instantly detected a gound fault as with many motor starts and disconnected. When we ran a 75 ft. #10 extension cord to a non ground fault 15 amp outlet we had no problem, even with the longer #10 extension cord. Hope this helps.
Larry and Lou
loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 10:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff

Are you running your univolt at the same time that you are testing your AC on a 15 amp service?
It could add considerable draw of amperage in addition to the starting load of the AC. We usually keep it unplugged at home.

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote