Old 06-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Indianapolis , Indiana
Air conditioner is dripping

My Dometic air conditioner started dripping last trip when on. I have an 09 INTL 27FB. I think there is a drain hose for condensation from the unit somewhere hidden through the interior that then drips out the bottom of the trailer. My guess is somehow that is plugged. Has anybody else experienced this issue?

Old 06-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #2
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yes. Both my ACs dripped. A tech came out and found kinks in the drain lines. Straightened those out, no more dripping.

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
There are many threads on this subject. Blocked or kinked drain hose yes is a culprit. Also a crack in the drain pan. In my case there was a leak in the union connection from the pan to the hose. It is a pressed piece of metal pipe that the hose is clamped on to. Access is sometimes possible by removing the inner AC housing to see the drainage pan etc. Another cause of a minor nature is, if there is an excessive amount of humidity in the trailer. There then will be condensation on various metal parts of the unit that will tend to drip from the unit. Condensation will be caused by an open window, vent or door. Good luck in finding the cause.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
mine did the same thing....had eventually to remove the pan that was full of cracks and coated it with fiberglass...no problem since...but it took some doing..removing the unit etc...good luck
Old 06-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have since found that my ACs drain only when the fan is off. When the fan is on, there appears to be some sort of resistance of vacuum being formed that prevents the ACs from draining.

So if I set the fan to Auto, the ACs work fine, but if I set the fan to HI/Med/Lo, and don't turn them off, the pan fills and they start leaking inside my AS after 3-4 hours of continuous operation.

Sigh.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I had a bad condensate leak dripping inside the trailer also.

In my case it was due to crack around the end of the plastic condensate tray where the drain hose pipe fitting is installed.

I fixed it up a few years ago just by "gooping it up" with sealant. That lasted a couple of seasons but the leak started again last year.

This time, I tried to do a slightly more thorough repair - still was able to do it working from inside the trailer and without having to remove the air conditioner.

I made an aluminum reinforcing plate to strengthen the end of the condensate tray where the draintube fitting is installed - I made it with a suitable sized hole for the fitting to go through.

I found a "JB Weld" epoxy product that specifically said it was OK for plastics including ABS and PVC, and I used this to bond the aluminum plate and hose fitting to the end of the tray.

Then as an added precaution, I covered the repair area with several coats of a commercial grade flexible sealant - called E6000 I think.

It seems to have done a good job - fingers crossed.

I think I read someplace that this is a common problem and that there is a redesigned drip tray arrangement now available, but I believe the AC unit may need to be removed to install it - I'd rather not get into that! I think if I had to go to that extent, I would buy a new AC!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Our ceiling dripped badly on one trip and I found the end of the condensate hose clogged with a mud dauber nest. I poked a wire up the hose and a half gallon of water drained out.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
mine did the same thing....had eventually to remove the pan that was full of cracks and coated it with fiberglass...no problem since...but it took some doing..removing the unit etc...good luck
Ditto, except I used JB weld. No leas since on any fan speed.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I also have condensation that occasionally drips inside the trailer( no drain lines... Just drains down the side of trailer). I have a Dometic penguin, any ideas why?