Old 06-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
Air Conditioner for '74 Argosy? Cut the ceiling?

Cringe. A local company wants to cut the roof on my 74 Argosy to install a 14x14 air conditioner.

Proud Pup that I am my argosy doesn't leak a drop, this worries me.

Any thoughts or alternatives?

Recommendations on one and place to buy it?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
How many roof vents does your Argosy have? (My 24 came with the original AC when I got it.) If you have 3, the AC probably goes through the center one... if you don't have 3 vents, you should consult with someone who has Airstream experience for placing the unit properly... InlandAndy is one such source. There will be electrical lines and probably a drain tube at the intended AC install location.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The a/c is supposed to be installed through a separate hole in the roof, a set number of inches from rib 0. You should have a 120v outlet in the ceiling near the front rib where the air conditioner hole should be cut. Look for a line of rivets in the ceiling about 6" rearward of the outlet. That will be the front edge of the a/c installation hole.
FWIW, I make kits for the new a/c units to mount into the roof. The old original units were riveted to the roof, and newer ones clamp the roof and ceiling together, which would cause that area to get smashed and not seal.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
I just installed 2 MaxxAir Fans in my 1976 Argosy 22' with all the interior skins gone. Once I pulled everything back I saw that there is indeed a drip line coming from the spot that overlander63 describes as well as a 120v outlet ran to that same area.

I did have one consideration on this though. In that particular area, the ribs are separated quite a bit which means that you would have to brace it. That must be the kit that overlander63 is talking about. But, the forward fan hole already has ribs at exactly 14 inches from each other and It has an additional 120v cable ran to it that is not hooked up to anything. To me it seems that this would be the ideal place to install an AC, but I wonder it that causes any structural problems or weight distribution issues... Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
I'm facing the same fears as Eaglemate, our 77 argosy has no a/c and I'm petrified to have someone install anything on my roof especially knowing they have to cut a hole in it! I called airstream and got the measurement for the placement of the a/c unit which of course is as overlander63 describes...near the ceiling outlet. However, I see no 'line of rivets' (I actually have a light in the approx. area behind) and upon removing the outlet plate I do not see anything that appears to be bracing either.

My questions are:

1) Overlander63 Do you have pics of the kit being used in an installation? (so I can see how the kit works for a modern install)

2) What other things do I need to watch for if I let someone else install a unit?

Frankly, I'd much rather do the work myself, I feel like its the only way to be assured it is done right BUT even though I consider myself quite handy I'm uncertain of my abilities to do so on scaffolding and with the weight of a unit etc.

As to crabbey1's comment...I would not install an a/c in anything but the originally intended spot because the added weight is designed to be there and I wouldn't want to mess with that.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
We'll be getting our trailer back today. The a/c install looks really good, I'm very pleased. (I went to inspect and hubby picks it up tonight) I was very scared of the whole 'cut the roof' ordeal but all went well and I'm so happy I can finally relax now that the work is done. I'll post pics after she comes home tonight.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
JUST LOOKIN

Currently Looking...
MALIBU , California
Smile A/c wiring & drain tube

Did they find electric wiring and drain tube when they opened the roof and ceiling?
Thanks,
loren
Old 08-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
JUST LOOKIN

Currently Looking...
MALIBU , California
A/c install

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247stream View Post
we'll be getting our trailer back today. The a/c install looks really good, i'm very pleased. (i went to inspect and hubby picks it up tonight) i was very scared of the whole 'cut the roof' ordeal but all went well and i'm so happy i can finally relax now that the work is done. I'll post pics after she comes home tonight.
did they find the electric wiring and drain tube when they cut the opening?
Thanks,
loren
Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
sorry, didn't realize I left this thread hanging as I posted in 2 other threads

Yes, they found the drain line and electric without a problem. Airstream told me the line would be at 91" but they were wrong. Thankfully my camper place knew better but also, they removed the outlet plate and outlet and looked for the line before they even started to cut the trailer.

I painted the shroud before the install but I wish I had known so much of the base of the unit was going to be exposed as I would have painted it too. oh well, not climbing up there to do that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac unit (2).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	193905   Click image for larger version

Name:	ac unit (1).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	193906  

Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
JUST LOOKIN

Currently Looking...
MALIBU , California
A/c hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247stream View Post
sorry, didn't realize i left this thread hanging as i posted in 2 other threads

yes, they found the drain line and electric without a problem. Airstream told me the line would be at 91" but they were wrong. Thankfully my camper place knew better but also, they removed the outlet plate and outlet and looked for the line before they even started to cut the trailer.

I painted the shroud before the install but i wish i had known so much of the base of the unit was going to be exposed as i would have painted it too. Oh well, not climbing up there to do that!
how far off was airstream's measurement? My argosy is a 72 26ft and they told me 93 inches. Now i'm really worred.
Thanks,
loren
Old 08-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
my camper place told me 93" also and they were closer to being right though I don't recall exactly what the measurement was. Still, the outlet in the celling was truly the tell...he opened the outlet up and found the lines. and I had him do that BEFORE they cut!!