Old 03-19-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 25' Tradewind
Auburn , Alabama
Air conditioner for 1968 tradewind

I am new to all of this. I just bought my first camper. It is a 1968 tradewind. I need a new air conditioner for it, but dont know what to get or where to get it. I am in Georgia if that helps. I also would like to get an air conditioner with a heater built in. Please help! (I also need an awning)

Old 03-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome, and congrats on your new-to-you Tradewind! Check out the search feature at the top of the page - lots of info is there waiting for you. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Talking Hi Seaborn

Welcome to the forum. The best I can recomend for you find a RV store and take measurments of the opening in the roof of your Airstream. Coleman airconditioning unit has build in 120v heater in it. You must be hooked up to shore power for it to work.As far as the awnning goes Zir Dee has a site and they will tell you who is their dealer in your area.
Regards from Russell in sunny and warm Tucson Az.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabornj
I am new to all of this. I just bought my first camper. It is a 1968 tradewind. I need a new air conditioner for it, but dont know what to get or where to get it. I am in Georgia if that helps. I also would like to get an air conditioner with a heater built in. Please help! (I also need an awning)
Hi seabornj,
I would recommend a Duotherm unit the Airstreams prefer to have a drip pan installed under the unit to prevent the water from wearing holes in the sides of the trailer. Coleman's don't have a drip pan with the internal drain. I hate to say it, but unless you find a really good RV dealer you will be better off finding a vintage friendly Airstream dealer to get a good install on your unit.
Edit: on second thought what type of Airconditoner is currently on there? If it is an Armstrong Baybreeze there is a good chance it could be repaired if you can find the right shop to do it. They were a commercial unit and the parts are more less still available.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 25' Tradewind
Auburn , Alabama
thanks
Old 03-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
About your awning, you will find your choices very limited. You will be looking at a Zip-Dee awning. Carefree no longer manufactures awnings for Airstreams, and they never made one that would fit the pre-1969 coaches.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
About your awning, you will find your choices very limited. You will be looking at a Zip-Dee awning.
I would have to disagree with the gentelman with the broken scooter . Vintage style awnings are a very real option, They can be ordered off the rack, or you can do what I am currently doing and having one custom made. These cost a fraction of what a zip dee cost. Search for vintage awnings and you will get a ton of discussion relating to the merits and disadvantages of each. Oh yeah, welcome to the '68 Trade Wind club. Post some pics!

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I would have to disagree with the gentelman with the broken scooter . Vintage style awnings are a very real option, They can be ordered off the rack, or you can do what I am currently doing and having one custom made. These cost a fraction of what a zip dee cost. Search for vintage awnings and you will get a ton of discussion relating to the merits and disadvantages of each. Oh yeah, welcome to the '68 Trade Wind club. Post some pics!
Rodney, you are correct. Most people want a permanently attached awning, and that equals Zip-Dee. If they want an awning that they can slide into the channel, and support with awning poles and anchors, there are several choices for less money.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 25' Tradewind
Auburn , Alabama
Thanks so much. Yall are more helpful than i would have ever thought. I ordered an A/C and I am still looking for an awning. Now i am trying to decide on a gas or electric refrigerator and what type of flooring to put in. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks again
Old 03-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #10
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks so much. Yall are more helpful than i would have ever thought. I ordered an A/C and I am still looking for an awning. Now i am trying to decide on a gas or electric refrigerator and what type of flooring to put in. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks again
If you are going to travel with your trailer, you should look into an RV fridge, which is an ammonia absorption type, and uses either LP or electricity to function.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Go with a dual power propane/elect model is my advice. Pricey? you bet, but you will not regret it. I think the guy who is gutting his vintage out east is offering his older one (I would have to look for the link) or you can order a new one WAY below normal cost from palamino (sp?) parts up in Michigan. They are supper folks and good to do business with.

As to flooring, are you replacing the decking (ie going down to the frame) or looking at the top layer: tiles, carpet, or such? Either way, there are tons of threads on both, just look about. Be forwarned, you will have to sift through A LOT of threads to find what you are after. Having said that, being in the early stages of ownership, that ought to be fun and you will get a bunch of questions answered that you didnt even know you had!

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 25' Tradewind
Auburn , Alabama
flooring

I am thinking of putting something like a "Pergo" or some other wood flooring. The sub floor is in good shape with the exception of one spot which i intend to repair. Maybe tile though, i am still just looking at prices and what i can do myself.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
... Carefree no longer manufactures awnings for Airstreams, and they never made one that would fit the pre-1969 coaches.

Uh, my '67 Overlander has a Carefree awning.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
About your awning, you will find your choices very limited. You will be looking at a Zip-Dee awning. Carefree no longer manufactures awnings for Airstreams, and they never made one that would fit the pre-1969 coaches.
Duh, My 1967 Safari has a factory installed Carefree awning. ZipDee awnings placed on curved sided trailers MUST be custom bent to the curvature of the individual trailer. I have heard that some Airstream shops will do this if the order for the awning and install are done by them. Otherwise ZipDee will provide instructions for the brave Do-it-yourselfer! Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags