Old 06-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Air Conditioner

I have a 1986 Sovereign (all original) including the AC unit. It still works fine - but how long will it last? Is the lower operating cost of a new unit enought of a value to replace my older AC unit? Thanks.

willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
If It Ain`t Broke Don`t Fix It.dave

easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Energy costs in an RV have never been addressed to my knowledge pertaining to individual appliances. If they were, the wasteful RV furnace, a MAJOR user of propane would be first on the list for a makeover. (IMHO)
Cleaning of A/C filters, removing dust from evaporator coil and condensor, can help your A/C unit operate at top efficiency.
Kevin with Baity the Lab/Pointer
//------AIR # 7303------\\
WBCCI 17109
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Do It For The Economy

Prolly you should buy a new one.
The old one is probably rebuildable forever, is simple and reliable.
But it is not shiny, light weight and have those wunnerful printed circuit boards, so it should go, out with the old (like me), in with the new.
PM me for my address and I will take it off your hands.
Just the kind of guy I am.
"Talk is cheap, Airstreams are expensive," Wally Byam.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
AC Longeviety

Originally Posted by willyd View Post
I have a 1986 Sovereign (all original) including the AC unit. It still works fine - but how long will it last? Is the lower operating cost of a new unit enought of a value to replace my older AC unit? Thanks.
Mine's still working like a champ - 72 Overlander with the Armstrong AC. I'm having it checked over tomorrow b y a local commercial HVAC contractor at my site, but don't expect it will need anything - maybe a charge-up.

Maybe these figures can help with your thoughts if you run your own test, yesterday it cooled to 50 degrees (output air) in 2 minutes with interior at 99. Voltage stayed at 114 to 116 during the compressor and high fan settings.

Best of luck with the unit.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Have a 76 Sovereign with the Armstrong A/C. Works wonderfully. I just hate to use it while the trailer is parked at the lake, so we've rigged up a 10K BTU window unit, with no mods to the trailer, that keeps the 31 footer really cool. The A/C is sitting on a stand under the trees where no one can see it. I don't want the folks to think an AS owner can't afford an RV air conditioner. They think we spent a fortune on a " new" AS. Guess this is a little off topic, but if you have the Armstrong, let me tell you it's a lot quieter than our new Carrier on our Argosy.
Judy At Home in Oklahoma
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
We bought our trailer last year, and the A/C was 7-8 years old. After discovering a leak, we removed the rotted gasket and used a thicker aftermarket piece (the roof on the S/S is flat, unlike an A/S), and cleaned both evaporator and condensor.

I cleaned out the interior as I could with a soft-bristle brush and shop-vac. Bought and installed an intake air filter that appeared to be better than what was there originally. Replaced a trim piece also. Cleaned shroud, straightened fins, etc.

This Dometic worked non-stop from May until nearly December, putting up with some lower voltages than I would have liked and trying to cool us in 90F+ temps with 80-90% humidity. Probably 180-days total. I figure that all the work was worthwhile to extend its life, and then it will be time for a new, low-profile unit.

The one thing I would have changed would be to have added Fantastic Fans (or competitor) to take advantage of the few hours of relative cool in the evening before retiring to bed.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote