Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
65 Tradewind

1965 24' Tradewind
Cody , Wyoming
Send a message via Yahoo to Dannear
Air con Installation

Howdy,

Can I just shoe horn a roof mount air conditioner on top of my 65 or did I read somewhere that not all airstreams were made to take the load of a roof mounted air con?

Any advice on where can a get the best deal on an air-con installed or not.

Photos of my new bullet coming soon. Follow the progress.....or lack of same.

I think I'll call her F.M.J. ......Full Metal Jacket.

Perhaps a bit harsh......but it fits.

Thanks

Dannear
Dannear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
see "my" (as if anyone controls anything here--lol) thread at

http://www.airforums.com/forum...tos-20568.html

There are some other links in the thread that also will point you in the right direction.

The issue of strenth has to do with the lack of ribs between the roof skin and interior skin where you'd need them for the weight of an A/C. Put the wood blocks in--when you screw the skin to them, the monocoque effect suddenly will surprise you. You can do a chin-up on the new frame!

I liked the one post where an Owner got the A/C on the roof by leaving it in the box and pushing it up the side! Very clever. But be careful you don't oil can the skin--you can easily put a crease in it. I recommended my scaffold and using two people. Even then it's no piece of cake.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Just push the new AC you a long 2x12. Those Roman had some good ideas. In my 26' 59 there were two ribs the perfect distance apart. I added a 1.25 x 1/8 aluminum L across the space between the skins to make a frame. Seems happy. Look at Caravel pictures to see where the factory was putting them in your year.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
AC on the 60's

I just replaced the AC on the 66 Caravel. Previous owner had the Coleman installed in the original vent hole. It placed the AC box precariously aft and without support. I replaced it with a new Carrier Low Profile I got thru Palomino and installed it in a new forward location, then put a 4000 series Fantastic Fan in the old opening . It all worked out well. The AC now floods the living area with air and the Fan, when used, is located by both the Lav and the stove (Caravels are tiny.) Outside profile is cleaned up too.

Now, I am doing essentially the same on the 69 Caravel. But, folks, the later Caravel already has the AC mounted forward enough so as not to be a problem. The new Carrier Low Profile will replace it and the Fantastic Fan will be mounted forward. By the way, got the fans from Palomino too.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote