Old 07-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
A furnace was standard equipment in 1984, and a catalytic heater was not. I think the cat heater was possibly a dealer installed option, or was installed to replace a furnace that was removed. The furnace should have been a Suburban, and the usual mounting position was inside the cabinet that now has the cat heater, on the floor.
At the obvious risk of showing my total ignorance, I got the manual,read thru the entire thing and found one (1) mention of a furnace. It was on the 12 volt interior circuit page. And it showed it exactly where you said it would be Overlander63. Then I lifted the cabinet door and eureka. A suburban furnace. Vent ducts need some patching and I have propane disconnected as we do other work, so I have no idea if it will fire. But that just made so many things click. Like why is there a thermostat over the bed? What are the exhaust holes right beside the door for? How dumb can I be? Nobody answer that, it was rhetorical!! (Insert very heavy sigh here_____) So now that I know this, I still like the thread concepts of having a heat pump and a furnace.

Chuck & Skye
Rock and Roll Will Never Die!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #16
Airstream Rescue
1948 22' Liner
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1966 20' Globetrotter
Wimberley , Texas
Does anyone know of a good substitute for the Penquin Duo Therm airconditioner now that Carrier is no longer in the rv airconditioner business? I don't know of any other brands in which you are able to drain condensate through a drain tube and not have it just run out on the roof.

We are presently sitting on the paddock at Jackson Center in our 20 foot Globetrotter with a newer 13,500 Btu Penquin that is not keeping us confortable. sorry to intrude on your thread.

rptradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think we all may be over-expecting the A/C thing right now, with this unusual heat thing. (Southwesterners need not roar in, I know this is normal for you)

Heck, my house A/C is running almost full time (21 hrs 53 minutes yesterday) and slowly loses ground all day...up to 76* by sundown. These things are sized for the "typical" weather and not one ounce more.

Just food for thought before you spend buku bucks for something that might not happen again for a decade. (AGAIN, southwesterners need not scream out) Of course if health is an issue, you gotta do what you gotta do.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I have a similar need, a new A/C with a heat pump. I already have replaced my furnace in my 1971 Overlander. Looking at the Dometic products, it appears that the two main options are either the Brisk-Air (not low profile) and the Penguin (Low-profile). Is one model more reliable than the other model? Should I go for the model with electronic thermostat knowing that I have a separate thermostat for the furnace? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
lmassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:37 AM   #19
2005 19' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
I have the same question can I install a Brisk in place of my Penquin and hook up to my electronic thermostat?
kcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:40 AM   #20

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

I would opt for an AC with HP also, it does come in handy on those cool mtn. mornings.

IMHO...a 15k btu unit may be a bit much for your narrow body 24 TW.

An 11k does just fine on our 25 Classic.

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote

dometic, heat pump, duotherm