Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
Adjusting flame on water heater

OK, pilot is lit and flame on in the Bowen water heater. However, it's a noisy flame mostly blue purple with some yelow tips. Per the manual this has too much air and I need to slide the adjusting screw and restrictor to reduce the air intake. However, the slide is as far as it can go so I can not adjust it.....thoughts?

Dan
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I was having the same problem with my air adjustment last year. I tried all possible adjustments with the air slide. Nothing worked but other than the noisy and multi color flame the water heater worked just fine. This year it worked the same and the water got hot and etc. So since it was working good I decided to fix it. Sooooo last week I pulled the burner assembly out and it crumbled in my hand. Now I have to find another one.

Neil and Lynn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater Burner 001.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	38251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater Burner 003.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	38252  

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
The water is getting very hot and the flame appears to be calming down a bit......I guess I won't touch it....even look at it.

Maiden voyage will be this Saturday for a quick over nighter to check out all systems.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
I was having the same problem with my air adjustment last year. I tried all possible adjustments with the air slide. Nothing worked but other than the noisy and multi color flame the water heater worked just fine. This year it worked the same and the water got hot and etc. So since it was working good I decided to fix it. Sooooo last week I pulled the burner assembly out and it crumbled in my hand. Now I have to find another one.

Neil and Lynn
Lynn, I replaced the burner tube on my Bowen WH. However, I was very lucky to find a new OEM burner tube at a local RV appliance shop. ( not an RV dealer , a local mom and pop type place )
These burner tubes are obsolete, so you may have to search a bit to find one. The shop I bought mine from only had one left. With a little engineering you MIGHT be able to retrofit a newer tube to your old WH.

Good Luck !

I guess the moral of the story is, If it ain't broke don't fix it !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Lynn, I replaced the burner tube on my Bowen WH. However, I was very lucky to find a new OEM burner tube at a local RV appliance shop. ( not an RV dealer , a local mom and pop type place )
These burner tubes are obsolete, so you may have to search a bit to find one. The shop I bought mine from only had one left. With a little engineering you MIGHT be able to retrofit a newer tube to your old WH.

Good Luck !

I guess the moral of the story is, If it ain't broke don't fix it !
Thanks. I know it will be difficult to locate another burner. Today I am going to check with our local (only 1 up here) RV place. They have been good at finding things for me. One of the 'things' that they have found me is a great old RV salvage yard in Sacramento. That will be tomorrow as we need to go down there anyway. I hate to have to install a new water heater now. This is camping time! Fixing time is what winter is for!

Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote