Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
Adding air conditioning

Hi all. I am doing a complete makeover on a 66 Overlander Twin 26. Any idea what might be involved in adding air conditioning. I have all the original manuals, and there is no mention of A/C. The center roof vent is 14x14 which I am told is a standard size that should accept an A/C unit. I am not sure what brand of unit I will add. I work at a new car/RV dealer and I have a few used units available to me. I assume I will have to pull some inner wall panels to chase some wiring, and I think the unit itself is pretty much self contained. I am also wondering if I will end up with a second plug just for the A/C, or will I have to upgrade the fuse box and run it thru there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom
air66stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I think they were pre-wired for a/c units. It might be worth sending an e-mail to airstream with your model, year and number. I did this for my 1972 Tradewind and got a very quick and detailed response telling me where I would find the wiring, etc.Good luck!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Question

I have a question about roughing in for an A/C that won't be purchased or installed till long after I finish a bare-walls restoration, where I am trying to do as much as possible in advance so the walls don't have to come off later. This would be on a model that never had A/C or wiring.

I'm trying to figure out where the wire should emerge from the roof to power the thing; is this standard or do different A/Cs have different locations? From what I saw in another thread, the wire will come out somewhat forward of the 14X14 hole, but it would be nice to know exactly.

I'm thinking of getting a Coleman low-profile model, but that could change by the time I get around to it. Is there a standard location for A/C power connections?
Thanks,
-SilvrSausage

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
This is what I was told by Airstream when I asked for wire locations on my 1972 Tradewind:

"My record shows for a 25' twin bed the location would be approximately 106"
from the front rib. If the unit had a double bed, that would be
approximately 104" from that front rib. I do not have a circuit that this
would be on."

I would send Airstream an e-mail requesting the location for your model. They've been very good about responding to my questions. This is the e-mail address that I used:

tech@airstream.com
Old 10-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
A/C not in vent?

I did email Airstream. They said I should find the wiring 124" from the front rib. I am confused now. If the front rib is where I think it is (blue circle at the end of the ached part of the front end), then this puts the wiring several feet behind the center vent. So, if I am adding A/C to my Overlander, do I put the unit in the center vent, or make a new hole for it? Or, am I actually on the second rib? Thanks, Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rib2.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	48009  
Old 10-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Ac install

Hey Tom, a rookie here, but Andy at inland gave me a measurement and stated that it was from that rib, which is the same as the end of the awning rail outside. It was nearly 2 feet back from the vent, and was told no, it does't go in the vent but rather behind it (which was right, and found the wire within a few inches of the measurement). I was really nervous cutting a hole that big in the trailer, so measured a bunch of times but worked out great. Check out the link here to my install, it was my first big project on the trailer besides new flooring and painting, because it was 100+ outside and was tired of sweating.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...day-35176.html
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
not in the vent, huh?

Hey, thanks for your post. Looks like you did a great install. I have been assuming all along that the A/C unit mounted right in the center vent. I am still wondering why I would need 3 roof vents if I install air conditioning. If for some reason I would need to replace the wiring, would it still be possible to install the A/C in the vent? Right now, I just got the interior gutted so I can replace the last 3 feet of floor. It will be a while before I start to worry about the A/C. One step at a time. Thanks again, Tom
Old 10-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
4th hole

thanks, not a problem, I'm glad there's actually something I've done that can maybe help someone else (I'm usually asking questions). Ya know I don't know the right answer (ours only had two vents), but for as little effort as it took to cut the new hole it was worth it. I think the original vents aren't big enough for the AC unit anyway, and when you take the vent out you'd probably still have to brace between the skins to hold the AC unit anyway (which is what took most of the time). Having that extra vent, dunno the benefits but I'm guessing (and just that) it would be about the same amount of work either way, so why not have 3 vents and AC instead of two I guess?!? Good luck though either way and let us know how it goes!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Santa Clarita , California
Argosy pre-wired for air conditioning?

Greetings:

Just bought a 1976 24' Argosy TT, with twin beds, and want to add air conditioning. Does anyone know for sure if this coach is factory pre-wired for air (and supported structurally as well)? I'm assuming that this space would be next to the existing center vent?

Thanks!

New to all of this.

AndyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPenny
Greetings:

Just bought a 1976 24' Argosy TT, with twin beds, and want to add air conditioning. Does anyone know for sure if this coach is factory pre-wired for air (and supported structurally as well)? I'm assuming that this space would be next to the existing center vent?

Thanks!

New to all of this.

If you send a message to the folks at Airstream (see my post #4 above for the address), they will respond with an answer and where the wires are located. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
how many layers?

Well, I finally got around to cutting a hole in the roof where Airstream said I should find the A/c wire (124" back from the first rib). After cutting about a 3" square in the inner wall just next to the center trim, I hit another piece of heavier aluminum. Is there some sort of wiring channel running down the center or the roof? I'm a little leery of cutting into something I'm unsure of. I'll post a pic if that helps. I was just hoping this is a simple question with a simple answer, if there is such a thing. Thanks, Tom
Old 12-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
I know close to the trim on either side of the center section of the ceiling there were wires down both sides but centered on the roof there wasn't any wires to speak of in the way. Are you cutting off to the side or smack dab in the middle of the ceiling centered like the vents? A photo would help unless someone more experienced knows off the top of their head.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
yep, down the middle

I'm cutting about an inch from the center. There is a 1" wide trim piece down the center that seems to lock the left and right wall/ceiling panels together. My goal here is to find the A/C wire, then cut a 14X14 hole to accept the A/C unit. If this doesn't help enough, I'll get a pic. Tom
Old 12-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
AndyPenny,

In my 1976 Argosy 24 there was a 110v outlet on the ceiling, about one foot back of the centre vent. This is where you mount the unit and find the pre wire
apparently.

Sergei

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
found the wire

OK, I made the hole in the ceiling larger and found the A/C wire. And I have plenty of room for the hole I will need for the A/C unit. My problem now is that the other end of the A/C wire doesn't exit the rear wall by the breaker box like I thought it would, it comes out of the right wall behind the oven (which I plan to replace with a microwave). Not only does the wire go the to the wrong spot (as far as I am concerned), it is a 12/2 without a ground.

Is 12/2 safe to use without a ground?

If so, how do I best route the wire back to the breaker box, or did Airstream wire the A/C in with the oven?

OR Am I better off removing the neccesary inner skin to replace the wire and run it directly to the breaker box?

And does anyone know what the extra wire is by the breaker box? I cannot find anything connected to it.

As a note, my breaker box has a 30 amp main, with two 20 amp breakers to handle all the 110.

Thanks in advance, Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2157.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	50893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2159.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	50894  

Old 12-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
I was right AND wrong

Good news. Airstream emailed me back. The wire I found was not for the A/C. They said I should find another wire in the roof, which will be the A/C wire (12/2 WITH ground), which does come out by the breaker box. I guess I just didn't dig deep enough, but who would have thought there would be two wires in the roof? Airstream also said the wire I had already found was for 12 volt use since it was a 12/2 without a ground, but they didn't say what it was to be used for? So, still a bit of a mystery, a wire running from the center of the ceiling to behind the oven has to be there for some reason.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Mine had 12v wires running from the AC unit to behind the refrigerator, where the factory thermostat would have been if the trailer came with their AC unit. I assume this would be what those are for. our wire was burried in the insulation but found it pretty quick, black romex.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:07 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You COULD try the "smoke test"... Hook up the 12v wires, and see what comes on (or gloes up in smoke). I just did a quick scan of this thread, if it hasn't been answered before, the a/c unit should not be mounted in a vent hole, but a new hole with the front edge a set amount from the first rib should be made.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
I think Home Depot sells them, but there are electrical test tools that help identify breakers for outlets. We have one that runs on a AA battery. Hook one end to the wires, then take the receiver around the trailer and follow the beeping like a metal detector. Help you find the other end of the AC wire and the other end of that 12v wire.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Conover , Ohio
found it (again)

I had to dig a bit, but the other wire was in there, which was a relief to me. Airstream quickly returned my email and told me the first wire I had found was a 12V wire used for an additional thermostat for the A/C.

When I had started this A/C project, I just assumed the whole time that the A/C would go in the center vent. But it would require some major work to the vent opening since the A/C unit I got (a Dometic) requires a 14 1/4 X 14 1/4 hole. I would have had to relocate a ceiling light as well to clear the air box (control panel) inside which is about 23" long. Making a new hole cured all my problems. It got the A/C unit centered between the vent and a ceiling light, and it saved me from dropping the entire ceiling panel to find the A/C wire. A small hole did that trick, which will be gone when I cut the 14 1/4 square. Many thanks to this web site and Airstream. Tom