Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Long Time Lurker

2010 31' Classic
Quincy , Illinois
Adding additional AC - How to Wire

I am having an additional AC unit added to my 2010 Classic (13,000 BTU, no heat pump). I have read other postings about wiring this additional unit via separate circuit which would allow us to use both units at once but would require two plugs.

I also could have the unit wired into the existing 30 amp service BUT realize I could only run one unit at a time with that set up.

I'm asking for advice from others on which way to go. I have been told by the people who will do this they can go either way. Also, I have given them Andy's advice I found on the site about drip pans; bracing, etc. They assure me they have done this before.

Thanks in advance.
boodalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Kenner , Louisiana
The best way to do this is to redo the main power panel and your trailer will be wired for a 50 amp service. That way you can run both at the same time. Whats the purpose of adding air if you cant use them both at the same time? Do it right the first time and you will not regret it.
Enjoy the custom made indoor weather.
fourcatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
DFW , Texas
On our #2 AC install, I ran 10ga MC cable between the skins and down to a 110 male plug I installed in the Power Supply compartment. From there I'm able to use a 10ga Extension cord to separately plug in to 20amp 110 service. I also routed the condensation line down in the same fashion and it drops out beneath the trailer. It took drilling a couple of holes into the frame by the AC and it also took a lot of patience and an inspection camera to be able to intercept the pull tape and work around the internal structure (use a fiberglass pull tape if you go this route).

The permanent, male electrical 110 boxes are hard to find but they are available from an electrical supply house. HD, or Lowes didn't carry them.

Advantages to us are that we are able to use Texas State Park hookups designated for 30amp service.

The current disadvantage is that I'm dependent on an external breaker at the electrical hookup. The fix for that is that in the future I'll install a small breaker box with a single breaker for that purpose.

In whatever manner the electrical is routed, the condensation line needs also factor in.
TxToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
the 50A service does involve a much heavier power cable. you might want to try lifting one to make sure it isn't an issue.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
THere is no reason you can't go with a 30A 220V system that is powered off of a 50A service. You do need to make sure you have a 30A 220V main breaker to protect the system. I would run one pole to the 30A 120V to the existing wiring and then add a 20A 120V circuit off the other pole for the new AC unit. You would need #10-4 SO cable with the 50A male plug on it. I have the pigtail part of mine down already and plan on adding another 20A circuit so I can run extra space heaters when I am at home.

Right now I have a L14-30 male twist lock on the end of my pigtail. I am not using one pole right now but if I was then I could split out each phase to a different 120V source if I wanted to. Since nothing is running off of 220V in the trailer I can hook each phase to a 120V source. All that is necessary is to have 120V relative to ground on each pole. It won't matter if there is 220V between them or now since there is nothing in the trailer that is 220V. So you can have two or three pig tails to adapt to whatever source you have.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
rosyriveter

1966 24' Tradewind
1959 18' Traveler
Winchester , Virginia
10ga MC?

You mentioned in your post you used 10ga MC wire. I am assuming this is 10 gauge Monster wire. Is that the wire used in cars and audio systems? How does that work on an alternating current? How do you ground? I'm very familiar with romex but this looks to be quite a space saver.
annieairstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Kenner , Louisiana
MC means metal clad., it is like romex but instead of plastic covering it is metal or aluminum spirals. Do not use monster cable for AC voltage unless it is rated for AC use.It will say it on the wire.
fourcatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
I cannot help you on the "how to" but will say you are going to love it after you have the second AC installed. Two AC's was top priority when we started shopping for our new AS in 2008. We have never regretted the extra cost or the long trip we had to make to get the trailer that had everything we were looking for. Being from the South, I wanted to always be able to cool the trailer down regardless of the outside temperature. Another big plus we have found is to operate the rear unit when we are in the front watching TV. That eliminates the volume going up everytime the front AC kicks on. Makes it a lot more quiet during conversations. Appears you are getting some really good advice here. I hope it works out well for you. You will not regret your decision plus it will add value should you ever choose to sell.........steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
For my second air, I installed a second (small) breaker box and used a second 20A power cable. Yes, I have to plug in 2 cables now but the upside is I can stay in a 30A site and plug the rear air into the 20A outlet. Only 1 time have I stayed at a campsite that did NOT have a 20A in the box along with the 30A (no 50A sites either)

I also have a 50A to dual 30A pigtail. If the camp does have 50 available, I will usually get pay the extra $2-$3 and stay in that site.

The install is posted in the 34' thread listed in my sig.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:45 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

redding , California
Question second AC wiring

Has anyone delt with the microwave-AC switch in early 90's AS's? Is it possible to run a wire from the bedroom cabinets all the to the AC in the front. Plan on adding 2nd AC in bedroom which is close enough to the circuit box in overhead cabinet.
howell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:46 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by howell57 View Post
Has anyone delt with the microwave-AC switch in early 90's AS's? Is it possible to run a wire from the bedroom cabinets all the to the AC in the front. Plan on adding 2nd AC in bedroom which is close enough to the circuit box in overhead cabinet.
Hi

This thread has been dormant for a decade. You probably would get better input starting a new thread.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote