Old 04-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
Adding a roof AC to our Popup

Its not an Airstream....but....We bought a one owner 1995 Palamino Mustang Popup recently (to go along with our Argosy).

Couple of questions about our 1995 Palamino Mustang Popup.
1) How do I add a 12 volt battery to the existing electrical? Currently the trailer is equiped with its factory 110/115 volt shore power and factory Power Converter.
2) The previous owner removed the fresh water tank, I want to replace it with a new one, what size should I order? Can i use the city water pressure line in the mean time with the hand pump faucet or will it try to back fill into the missing fresh water tank?
3) Plastic drain on sink is cracked, where do i order a new one?

4) I want to add a roof AC to my trailer, I currently have a vent in the roof, do i use the existing vent hole to mount the new roof AC? If so is it prewired or will I need to run 110/115 volt up to the roof?

*1995 Palamino Mustang Popup Camper

*1996 Buick RM Wagon 5.7L V8, AT/OD, tow pkge, coil over shocks, hitch, brake box, cooler.

*Good Sam Club Life Member
Apache_Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
1 Most popups have a house battery as standard equipment. I suspect the previous owner removed it for whatever reason. Therefore there should be some connections for a battery on the 12 volt converter. On popups I've usually seen the battery mounted in a plastic box on the tongue, just behind the propane tank.

2 I'd do some research and see what capacity the original tank was and go with that size. Anything larger and you effect weight distribution, existing structural, etc. I'd assume there is a check valve to prevent the tank from back filling but if not that would be easy to install.

3 I'd need to see a photo of the broken piece but really most RV drain stuff is the same as residential and you should be able to find what you need at Lowe's or an RV parts dealer.

4 Now this is the rough one. I know that AC units are a common option on popups these days. What is not widely known though is that with the AC unit, stronger lift cables are installed for the roof. You will need to look into that first, that is if the existing cables are strong enough or how much it will cost to have new ones put in, or how tough a DIY job it is.

For popups with an AC unit, the power cord for it is usually sewn into a sleeve or covered by a velcro flap, in the canvas in the rear of the driver's side, next to the lifting column. Easy enough to check for that. Whenever I have seen vent openings in roofs that are pre-wired for AC, there is usually a covered electrical box next to one side of the vent, clearly labled that is what it is for.

If you don't have the wiring in place to an existing roof vent, I seriously doubt that the lift cables or the roof structure can support one. Since I really suggest you contact Palamino about this, please post an update on what you learn.

Christopher

Old 04-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
lascassas_camper

1975 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Gatlinburg , Tennessee
Blickcd,

I found a covered electrical box on the vent side of the popup down beside the sink, I took the cover off and its wired seperatly from the rest of the wiring, so I suspect its an AC power supply?

*1995 Palamino Mustang Popup Camper

*1996 Buick RM Wagon 5.7L V8, AT/OD, tow pkge, coil over shocks, hitch, brake box, cooler.

*Good Sam Club Life Member
Apache_Camp is offline   Reply With Quote