Old 01-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Adding A/C & Heat Pump

Just called and spoke to our local "camping store" and asked about adding a new a/c with a heat pump. They said that everything for a airstream/argosy has to be special built. Is this true? We just got into airstream and not sure of what can be "generic" products and what has to for just airstreams. Anyone with any help would be wonderful.

Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
Just called and spoke to our local "camping store" and asked about adding a new a/c with a heat pump. They said that everything for a airstream/argosy has to be special built. Is this true? We just got into airstream and not sure of what can be "generic" products and what has to for just airstreams. Anyone with any help would be wonderful.
I replaced the original (nothing Airstream special) Coleman with a (nothing Airstream special) Carrier AirV 15,000 Bth heat pump model, see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ead-40795.html. Ten months later, I have had a chance to evaluate both summer and winter performance. I am pleased, but probably could use a second smaller unit in the back of my 34 Excella.

Still, all roof airs are off the shelf.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
They don't have to be special built, you just need a RV service shop that is experienced in working on Airstream's. They have a curved roof which is not a problem on the outside but can be a problem mounting the cover on the inside of the trailer and getting it flush. Carrier has become a good choice of the A/C with maybe a heat strip as opposed to the "heat pump".

Don't let anyone work on the roof of your Airstream except experienced Airstream service people.

Good luck.

Don
Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
Your local camping store is wrong.

We sell dozens of Carriers AC's, for Airstreams, and ship them, wherever needed.

No modifications of any kind to your Airstream is necessary.

Andy
Old 01-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Andy and Don are both right. I should add that the heat pump model has a heat strip that it switches to when temps fall below optimum for the heat pump. It is at a stated 40 degrees, but I find that it actually happens at a much lower temperature. I believe that it is because the heat escaping through the roof creates a micro clime around the unit. It essentially recaptures lost heat.

Here in Little Rock, it in combination with an electric oil radiator provides 99% of my heating needs. I have run the furnace 2 days this winter when it never got out of the 20s. I would have had adequate heat in the coach, but I wanted the heat from the furnace around the interior plumbing.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Well that makes me feel alot better....Usually when you hear special you also hear $$$$$$$....Another thing that we came across today when we took apart our cabinets...they have not fully finished the removal of the old furnace...can we just finish pulling out the old pipe that was attached and take out the vent that went into the floor from the main body of the furnace?

Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote