Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
DFW , Texas
Adding 2nd AC Unit in the bedroom?

We are looking at the possibility of adding a 2nd AC unit. Has anyone had any success adding a unit in place of the rear roof vent fan? I have read through several threads on this topic, but my searches couldn't find one specifically related to abandoning the vent fan and using the pre-existing hole in through the roof.

Related questions:
Is reinforcement required in this area - such as the L-channel aluminum frame technique described on other threads?

Any success in using one of the vent fan's wire as a pull line to get the appropriate wiring up to the ceiling?

While the condensation can drain off the roof, I would much rather fish, or pull a condensation tube through the wall if that is possible - then tie it to the sub roof drain pan like is done in the front of the trailer. Anyone have any success with this approach?

Did you install a separate breaker box, or just run a separate heavy duty 110 cord from a junction box which ties in to the AC power feed?

Hope these questions make sense.
Thanks, in advance.
TxToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I would contact the factory about this as they would be the best source for answers to the specific and correct answer about structural issues.

That aside, you will most likely need a 50a service connection if you go with 2 A/C units. Simply plugging it into a 110v outlet is only part of the equation if you are considering running two A/C units at the same time, on top of other power needs.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
The original owner of my '92 Limited had a rear A/C installed with a separate dedicated electrical service. If I want to use it I must plug the line in separate from the main service. Whenever I've needed it, I just use an adapter and plug into a 20 amp plug.

The original owner's rationale for having it this way was, "I was tired of pulling into campgrounds late in the day when all the big-rigs were already hooked up. Many times I couldn't get enough power to start the main unit so I had the smaller one installed and could at least have a cool bedroom to sleep in."

Due to the time of year I travel to the mid-west (late spring and early fall) I don't need it much. I've used it more for heat than for cooling. I'm glad it is there, but with my use I wouldn't spend too much to install one if it were not already in place.

Gene
Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
last winter i was getting roasted in the rear bedroom during my afternoon naps. i told myself that is a shame there wasn't a duct from the front air conditioner to the rear bedroom. i took an 8' aluminum downspout and flattened it to fit over the bathroom doorways and i closed the doors. the rear vent on the ac shoots enough air through the tube to make a difference. this year i'll be adding a mini 12v fan to improve the airflow.

it's not too pretty but it was quick, cheap and effective!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
[QUOTE=TxToaster;708359]We are looking at the possibility of adding a 2nd AC unit. Has anyone had any success adding a unit in place of the rear roof vent fan? I have read through several threads on this topic, but my searches couldn't find one specifically related to abandoning the vent fan and using the pre-existing hole in through the roof.

Related questions:
Quote:
Is reinforcement required in this area - such as the L-channel aluminum frame technique described on other threads?
Absolute metal framing must be installed as well as properly.

Quote:
Any success in using one of the vent fan's wire as a pull line to get the appropriate wiring up to the ceiling?
That's impossible to do since the wiring in the ceiling is in a cable.

Quote:
While the condensation can drain off the roof, I would much rather fish, or pull a condensation tube through the wall if that is possible - then tie it to the sub roof drain pan like is done in the front of the trailer. Anyone have any success with this approach?
A drain line can be fished into the rooflocker, then into a closet, and then thru the floor and underbelly. Or use a Carrier AC and you do not need a drain tube.

Quote:
Did you install a separate breaker box, or just run a separate heavy duty 110 cord from a junction box which ties in to the AC power feed?
Simply add another 30 amp cable and breaker box, for the second AC. Saves time, and money. You can fish the wire thru the shell enough to get into a rooflocker. from there, thru a closet, where you can mount the breaker box.Typical campgrounds have two 30 amp outlets.

Quote:
Hope these questions make sense.
Thanks, in advance.
Hope these answers help your decisions.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote