Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
West Palm Beach , Florida
Question add-on AC thermostat

Saw a post recently regarding an add-on thermostat to AC unit. Now can't find it! We have Coleman AC; fan runs continuously. Want to add a thermostat to turn fan off when compressor is not running. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Mike
2dogtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogtraveler View Post
Saw a post recently regarding an add-on thermostat to AC unit. Now can't find it! We have Coleman AC; fan runs continuously. Want to add a thermostat to turn fan off when compressor is not running. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Mike
You may have seen my article in Airstream Life regarding using an extra thermostat to simultaneously run the heat pump and the furnace.

I don't think a second thermostat is the answer to your problem. The fan should either run continuously or run only when the compressor is running. I don't know how you could accurately synchronize a second thermostat to insure the latter condition. You definitely do not want the compressor running with no fan running.

A relay could be used to run the fan whenever the compressor runs. This is essentially how the Dometic in my Classic works although the relay is part of an electronic board in the Dometic and synchronization is insured.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
West Palm Beach , Florida
Thanks, you're right John. I did read about the second thermostat in "Airstream Life". And right again about not wanting the compressor on without the fan running.....I might better think this through. No low voltage power, no compressor relay, probably line voltage thermostat,it might cost more than it's worth. Just want to run the A/C in the daylight hours while in storage in So.Fla. summer heat.
Mike
2dogtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Hope Valley , Rhode Island
Hi,
Has anyone tried to add the thermostat? (I used just the heat type thermostat) Also, the light to let you know the water pump is on?

I did both and they work just fine.

Louis -2008 27 FB Classic
bizetwo is offline   Reply With Quote