Old 05-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
AC would not kick on...

So, I forget if about this time last year I posted on this subject as it happened to me back then once..

My wife and I were at Henderson Beach SP and it was humid...and the AC unit was not on...checked the thermostat, said if I recall E1 error....did a reset...and instead of showing zone 1 and 2, it showed Zone 1 and 4 OR sometimes after a reset it would show "Zone 4" but not allow you to do anything..the system was just locked...I was running on 30amp and on the single center AC, and because of the thermostat, I could not activate my 2nd AC at all.

Well, after fiddling for a while, checking the power at the pole, and a bunch of other crap, we left for some dinner and came back, and it then seemed to work without a problem...did not think much more about it since then (yeah, real smart).

Anyway, a couple weeks ago while down in grayton beach SP, this happens yet again...then I remembered the whole ordeal. And we had more people on this trip (we had loaded in the bunkhouse, me, wife, sister, my 2 kids ages 5 and 3, and two nieces ages 10 and 13...and it was 10pm when this happened

So, I get determined...upon reading on this forum, I ruled out a bunch of stuff, but found some talk about the "phone wire" that allows the communication and DC power to the thermostat...I checked the back of the thermostat, re-connected it, it looked fine..still had a problem...

Then I figured I needed to check the connection at the AC unit itself....and I remembered I have had this off and on issue with some condensation coming back from the AC unit from time to time when it is more warm and humid...

Took me like 20 min to find all the screws that hold the interior AC cover on (2 are 'hidden' behind those little flip out vents on the side)...then got it off, bunch of mosquitos came in when that came off like mad...then saw the problem...the phone wire is connected at one spot with a small sort of like junction box or a plastic cover over the connection, that little box was open and moisture was on it...also the points of connection have some mild corrosion....I uplugged, replugged, and took a small sharp pocket knife and scraped at the connections, re-connected...and all was well....whew.

Anyway, I guess at this point I will need to replace the phone wire connections (not sure how to do that, need to inspect it again)...and I need to figure out why the water is coming down...I saw a couple of the connections for the drain tube it looked ok...I need to get into that and figure things out...I read I need to block back from the drain lines under the wheel well...and is there like a drain pan up there I need to inspect?

Other posts seem to suggest that if you have a vent open or doors open and closed too much in heat, this will happen...I don't think that is my problem though as I have had that condensation come down when all was closed up tight...it notably happened historically when...you get up in the morning in summer, I keep the AC on with fan NOT on auto but on "HIGH" (I like the white noise and I know it helps prevent problems with freezing the coils when its hot out)...then I would cut off AC for a second and suddenly many drops of water trickle down onto the floor and side of the dinette under the AC...

So, I created this thread to

1) alert other owners in case they see this happen and

2) get any insights about my condensation/water issue

Also, hello, its been a while but I promise I am still around...going to port st joe memorial day weekend as well...hope everyone is well!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I might add, it is really annoying to have a problem like this, and not able to use your built in redundancy...arrrrgggg

Old 05-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Well I'm not sure I can help, but I can tell you you're not alone. First we do the same thing....turn the fan on all night for white noise (it also masks the sound of the compressor kicking on and off). In really humid conditions we would get condensation inside the AC unit in cool mode (summer). It was much worse with heat pump at night (winter). On a couple of nights we had so much water on every surface in the unit it would stop working until it completely dried out. We couldn't use our heat pump and leave the fan on. We had to use our furnace over night and I would use a white noise app on the phone, connect the phone via Bluetooth to the radio, and play white noise on the speakers. I was convinced there was a gap in the insulation the AC unit allowing air into the unit to condense. Finally took AS back to Foley and they fixed it! No more condensation. We were in a huge hurry to leave Foley, and I wasn't able to find out what they did specifically.....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Lowes and Home Depot sell modular phone plug stripper/crimpers and blister packs of connectors. Cut the old one off, noting orientation of the locking pin. Use the stripper part of the tool to strip off the outer insulation on the cable. There is typically a stop on the tool so you only cut off the right amount. Put a new plug in the crimper (it only goes in one way) and then insert the wire to match the orientation you noted when you cut the old one off. Squeeze the crimper and you're done.

Can't help you with the socket at the AC as I have never taken mine apart but it is probably standard telephone stuff, again probably available at HD or Lowe's. If not, try Digikey. They sell all kinds of electronic stuff and have good prices and no minimums.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I might add, it is really annoying to have a problem like this, and not able to use your built in redundancy...arrrrgggg
Perhaps a good reason for me to put in a rear unit with a built-in thermostat when I do that job. Also saves having to mount a rear temperature sensor and run a wire to the CCC.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Al - exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for!

I forgot to mention to Foley this problem when I brought it for warranty stuff last fall

I'll need to figure it out myself - or try to anyway

Old 05-13-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
AC would not kick on...

Landrum - I use the thermostat and do "fan only" mode for white noise when running furnace - that is for zone 2 - which is above the bed