Old 06-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Renton , Washington
AC won't shut off at Thermostat

Hi,

Currently in the hot desert and AC is cooling but won't cut off at the Thermostat. Until now I would shut it off and open the vents. Now if I leave
the AC stays on which is a waste and wear and tear on a possibly 40 year old unit.
I disconnected all the Thermostat wires while it was running and it stayed running. If I disconnect the AC at the hook up it shuts on and off at the breaker.
It's very Hot out here and want to be careful.
Would love some insight into this.

Bambi517

Old 06-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
When you say the AC stays on do you mean the fan, the compressor, or both?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
You guys are better than I am. I have no idea about his problem.

There is no information about what the trailer is. What year it was made. What kind of AC it is. No information at all. I even checked his profile, no info there either.

The old Armstrong AC's had wall mounted thermostats, right? My Trade Wind doesn't have the original AC (replaced with a Coleman before I got it), but there's still an orphaned thermostat on the wall next to the one for the heater. It could be one of those, we don't know.

We can keep guessing, but some more info from the original poster (OP) would really help with the answers. In lieu of knowledge, photos (in focus and large enough to see) would help.

We're really willing to help if we can.

On Edit: There were posts discussing the AC controls, built-in thermostats on most roof air units. Those posts were there when I composed the reference to "You guys" Now we're suddenly down to only two replies. Magic I guess.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Renton , Washington
Ac won't shut off

I have a 72 International Overlander. The AC unit is the original Armstrong with an original wall mounted Thermostat.
The thermostat has 4 wires(G1,G2,red and tan?) going to it (houses have similar setups) and two lever switches. One controls fan speed Hi or Low, and one is off and cool. Off and cool shuts the whole unit off when working.

The 4 wires go to a terminal strip in the AC unit and from there to a transformer..etc.
I haven't gotten into it alot because I had a plumbing leak at a shower valve pipe That was smeared with God only knows what goop. I ended up using compression and sharkbite fittings because soldering was a nightmare in that space.

I took a quick look and saw two relays and a transformer. One must be stuck.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I have a '75 Tradewind with the original Armstrong AC. With mine, if the the thermostat is turned on, the fan and compressor will both run, then eventually the compressor shuts off, however the fan continues to run as long as the AC is turned on. Very frustrating, the unit is pretty loud, and I just wished that the fan would operate in sync with the compressor. I've asked about this on the forums before and from my understanding, that is the normal behavior with these units. Although at nearly 40 years old, I'm not going to complain too much!
Emerson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
It's great that you still have the original Armstrong AC. Everyone that has them really thinks a lot of them. The Armstrong experts will have to chime in, though. Like I said, it had been replaced on my Trade Wind when I got it. My expertise, such as it is, is with the newer ACs that have the controls all on the lower unit.

One general mechanical/electrical troubleshooting thing might help. You can try jumping around the relays that you mentioned to see if they are stuck open. Removing the power wire to see if they are stuck closed. One at a time, of course. The usual electrical precautions apply, only work with the power off and use insulated jumpers. And if you're not comfortable doing it, don't! Consult experts.

Best of luck, and let us know what you discover.