Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2004, 06:02 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

AC shroud removal

I’m in the process of resealing around all of the solar domes , air conditioner and windows on my 1974 31 ft. International. I have removed most of the old silicon that the PO had globed all over the original factory calking (velum I assume). My question is how do remove the outside shroud on my Armstrong AC unit? I need to replace the metal fan cover that is almost rusted away and I’d like to remove and inspect w/o damaging the shroud. The shroud is intact but seems very fragile. I can see 4 screws on the top but there seems to be something else holding it on. Is the shroud a 2 piece unit that separates at the blue seam.?

Pat
Pat66TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:36 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Pat,

The shroud is one piece. The trim and blue insert add strength, but does not make it into a clam shell style. The 4 bolts are all that physically holds it to the roof, actually they hold the shroud to the AC unit. On install there may have been Vulcem that the shroud sat in or other sealant that is adhering it to the roof sheet. I would take a wide thin putty knife and slide it between the shroud and the roof. The putty knife should cut the sealant so you can remove the shroud.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Various models of shrouds.

thenewkid64,
Is your description of removal the same with all the Armstrong shrouds?
I believe there are 3 or 4 different shrouds.

it is amazing that there is no shoe or flashing that the shrouds mount into at the roof line. Looks like without such that wind turbulance would definately stress the hell out of the things. Maybe why so many are seen along roadsides.

Did the factory lay a bed of Vulkem and imbed the shroud bottom in it?
You mention clamshell type shrouds. Were some of those Armstrong?

What about other makes? are most of those clamshell? and do they have shoes?
roadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

AC Shroud Removal

I removed the shroud around my 79-31' last week to patch it up (stress cracks along the side - have a new shroud that I will paint first and then replace). The shroud is fragile but is securely fastened to the AC unit. The shroud is held in place by 4 bolts that were easily removed. I slid the shroud (1 piece) top side down along an angled ladder to my wife. Sealed the cracks with parbond and put it back on with new bolts & washers. I Do not have any leaks so left the vulkem surrounding the AC unit alone. The new/replacement shroud is a 2 piece that I will need to seal and add mesh to the intake holes prior to installation. Montanaandy
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
The Armstrong shrouds all mount the same way. There are some different configurations, but there is always 4 bolts up top holding it on.

If the factory installed it, I would doubt that there is vulcem holding it to the roof. Based on the description of the other sealant that was removed from the rest of the coach the PO likely sealed the shroud to the roof.

Most of the other brands use a one piece shroud too, other than Dometic and Carrier. On the Penguin unit the shroud is a 2 piece affair. The bottom is under the unit and the top bolts on to the top of it, so when you service the unit you are not disturbing the whole thing. Carrier has a lower mounting plate from what I have seen.

I am not an aeronautical engineer, but I would bet the down force created by the top half of the shroud is greater than the lift created on the lower half since the lower air is disturbed by the roof vents, antenna, etc. The shrouds that blow off seem to have failed to to becoming brittle from UV exposure and ripping at the mounting points.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 08-03-2004, 01:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
....... The shrouds that blow off seem to have failed to becoming brittle from UV exposure .........
I can attest to that......

When I replaced the original Coleman AC on the '87 last year I tried to be as careful as possible with the removal..........but not nearly careful enough.

The old plastic gave new meaning to the term "eggshell".

As expensive as these are just for a shroud (factory) replacement, and the inability to repair the old shrouds (at least the Coleman's), I would suggest an aluminum fabricated shroud for a replacement.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:33 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
From the CW site:

Fits Coleman 11,000 BTU, 13,500 BTU and 15,000 BTU models. Built-in protective rear intake grill guards air conditioner's fins. Tough high density polyethylene with UV inhibitors provide long life in the sun. Unique front bumper design deflects branches and prevents wind lift. Mounts like original and includes stainless steel mounting hardware and instructions.In Polar White.
Attached Images

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-03-2004, 01:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Pulled the cover off mine this weekend. Had a hell of a time getting the edges clear of the AC. Had to work each corner up, put a stick in to keep it from going back down when lifting opposite corner. Finally broke away. Mine only worked lifting the back first and pushing it forward to get the front free. Damn if I could see what held it. Also having a time getting it to line up with all four bolts to put it on. Should be alot easier with two people up top on ladders.
Good luck
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote