Old 03-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
ac shroud

How hard is it to remove the a/c shroud on top. We are going to try to repair a hole the way some of the other members have here. After looking at the price of new ones and the shipping cost we have decided to try to get a little crafty and try to repair the old one.

Becky

Old 03-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
How hard is it to remove the a/c shroud on top. We are going to try to repair a hole the way some of the other members have here. After looking at the price of new ones and the shipping cost we have decided to try to get a little crafty and try to repair the old one.

Becky
Becky,
IIRC the top part has 4 bolts holding it down, you may need to remove the rivets on the belt line around it, then the bottom part is caulked to the roof pretty good, that was the hard part to remove. I would think you could have the whole thing off in less than an hour...It is what I would rate as a 2 beer project, one before taking it off and one after getting it off

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Removing our shroud wasn't difficult. It can be done with one person. As with most jobs it is easier with two. Assumptions: 1) your '75 is like our '72, 2) the shroud is original, and 3) it hasn't been changed by a previous owner in any way. Our shroud is the two toned silver and white shroud. Based on wahooc's post you may not have this shroud, as I did not need to remove the 4 bolts holding the fan grate on.

On our trailer, there are screws on each side of the shroud that are removed, and our trailer had a fair amount of flexible caulk under the front of the shroud. A screwdriver and putty knife were the only tools required.

I only have a year or so in my repair, but I was very happy with the initial results of using fiberglass cloth and gorilla glue.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
IIRC the shrouds changed in 1969, 1972, 1975, and 1979 FWIW my Armstrong Baybreeze is actually a 1976 model by the serial number, trailer is definitely a 1975 so all we can figure is that the dealer installed the AC sometime during 1976. We have been able to track down the orginal selling dealer (out of business) and some relatives of the orginal 2 owners can't find the 3 owner and the 4th PO didn't want to talk to us, but we did get some second hand information on how the unit was used When and if I decide to replace my cover I may turn one of the guys at work loose with some aluminum and fabricate a purdy aluminum cover for it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Too bad you're so far away - I have a perfectly good cover in the attic of my shop - but, as you say, shipping is the problem. If anyone in the Portland/Vancouver area needs one, here it is. Darol
Old 03-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
... but, as you say, shipping is the problem... Darol
Shipping is only an issue for new ones from certain vendors, and it comes in the form of shipping and handling. Shipping from one member to another should not be a lot of money other than an a possible "oversized box" issue.

Removing the shroud will be the easy part should one decide to repair it. BTW, my vintage shroud is there for aesthetic relief in that it provides no sealing or weatherproofing for the unit itself (no rivets or sealant; only screws hold it on).

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

They are too big for UPS even with the "oversized box" rule and to ship by truck means a crate for protection. Not practical. Darol
Old 03-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
They are too big for UPS even with the "oversized box" rule and to ship by truck means a crate for protection. Not practical. Darol
That may very well be true, but it strikes me as odd for a package as light as a shroud is.

What are UPS's rules?

Tom
Old 03-05-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
When we checked on a new one $125.00 great deal, then when we got down to the ship cost it was about the same as the shroud.

Becky
Old 03-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
UPS shipping information.

When a box or carton is under 84 inches in length and girth, shipping rates are based on weight and distance from the shipper. Other things apply, such as maximum length, and the type of packaging.

When the length and girth are from 84" to 108", the box becomes oversize 1, and billed at a minimum of 30 pounds, plus distance.

When the length and girth are from 109" to 130", the box is oversize 2, and is billed at a minimum weight of 70 pounds, plus distance.

When the length are girth are from 131" tp 165" (maximum), the box is oversize 3, and is billed at a minimum weight of 90 pounds, plus distance.

In the case of the oversize boxes, they can be empty, but the minimum weight rate still applies.

The length is the largest dimension of the box. The girth is the smaller of the three dimensions, and is all 4 sides.

Example: 30" x 15" x 6" is 30" = length, 15" = width and 6"= height. That box then has a dimension of 72", therefore would ship regular UPS rates.

In the case of "ALL" air shipments, as soon as the box exceeds one cubic foot, dimensional weight then applies. That also changes depending on stateside or overseas shipments.

A 1970 shroud weighs 22 pounds in it's box. The box size is 51" x 36" x 13". Therefore it has a shipping dimension of 149 inches, or oversize 3, in spite of it's weight.

A truckload of empty boxes, still fills up the truck. Therefore many years ago
UPS as well as FedEx and others, all calculate the same way.

Motor freight lines charge a minimum rate, that increase with distance, and again minimum weights apply.

Andy
Old 03-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Thanks Andy.

Tom
Old 03-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
I bought my shroud from Inland and it is soooo much nicer than the original that was paper thin and fell apart before I could get it off the roof. The price with shipping IMHO money well spent!! Looks like new again, and I would do over again given the condition of mine and the look of the new one on there.

AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote