Old 04-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
1971 23' Safari
Gridley , California
AC repair vs. replacement

I have a 71 Safari and the AC doesn't get cold. It blows plenty of air but never gets cold. Also, the "dog house" on the top is totally destroyed. Does anybody have suggestions about trying to fix it, or should I just replace it? If so, any suggestions to model and installation tips? Thanks

71Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I'd contact a local RV repair place and get a quote on going either way, then make a decision. A/C is one of those areas I wouldn't touch except to put in a bottle of freon in the car.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
First question is, does your trailer still have its original AC? One way to tell, is that the originals in that rough time frame, were typcially riveted or screwed to the roof with a million fasteners.

If it is original, then there is a running debate: there are those who maintain that "they just don't build them like they used to," and that the old AC is worth finding someone who will work on it, rebuilding/repairing whatever needs it, and then making the conversion to modern coolants. I still don't know how you would deal with not having a shroud. I'm really doubtful you could do anything but make a custom one from scratch.

I was of the opinion that my ancient AC on my '73 wasn't worth the trouble. Mine wouldn't even blow air, so it was easy to imagine all the things that could be wrong with it. Anyway, I removed mine and put a new, modern AC in its place. I chose a Dometic Penguin low profile. I think the smaller trailers look sleeker with a low profile unit. There are several threads that debate the merits of various brands. For me the Dometic has been fine in the year or two I have been using it.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1968 28' Ambassador
Dover , Arkansas
Is the plastic shroud destroyed or the aluminum housing. If the housing is there, I'd find someone to rebuild the AC part. Or if you have some basic skills and tools, pull the parts that are no longer good and replace yourself, leaving the Freon part to the AC tech. If the compressor is still holding pressure, I'd leave that alone and just replace capacitors, transformer and fan motor as required. I just replaced the motor for fans, all capacitors and transformer on mine. The compressor was good, holding pressure good. The dryer/filter will need replacing due to rust eventually. But it will wait till it fails, hopefully at home. Good luck however you go. If you plan on rebuild, soak all bolts, nuts with penetrating oil now a couple of time, then clean all bolts with wire brush to keep from snapping or twisting them off. Jim
Eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Shrouds are available for Armstrong A/Cs from Andy at Inland RV.

There are threads on here that detail rebuilding these units...

Think about it hard... My Armstrong is forty two years old and is doing a great job right now....

There is not a unit built today that will provide this kind of service.

If you take it off please don't trash it, but offer it for sale on this forum and/or Craigs List.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote