Old 05-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwanabe View Post
Hi,

Maybe you could put it back together and ignore the AC for a while.
Just a thought.
Except that will make it pretty difficult to remove the ceiling panels.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Decisions, decisions ----it works! Sort of

I don't know how well the AC works but it definitely runs and amazingly quiet. Maybe it is so quiet because it's not working correctly? Maybe I should start a new thread. How cold should the air be that comes from the AC? It's only about 63 F outside so 63F air being blown by a fan can feel cool I suppose. Say compared to a car AC or home portable/window unit just how cool should the air feel? The air coming from mine is kinda cool but would not describe as anywhere near cold and can't imagine it would keep it cool when temps rise into the 90's and above. Be great if this unit is usable, if it is, I may just do as Jammer suggested and and cut the roof panel so that I can re-insulate, the cut would be hidden under the AC. How can I check to see if it working as it should?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
I don't know how well the AC works but it definitely runs and amazingly quiet. Maybe it is so quiet because it's not working correctly? Maybe I should start a new thread. How cold should the air be that comes from the AC? It's only about 63 F outside so 63F air being blown by a fan can feel cool I suppose. Say compared to a car AC or home portable/window unit just how cool should the air feel? The air coming from mine is kinda cool but would not describe as anywhere near cold and can't imagine it would keep it cool when temps rise into the 90's and above. Be great if this unit is usable, if it is, I may just do as Jammer suggested and and cut the roof panel so that I can re-insulate, the cut would be hidden under the AC. How can I check to see if it working as it should?
The air coming out of the ceiling unit should be about 20 degrees cooler than ambient air.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Why it was so quiet!

Decided to have an AC guy come out and look at my unit for $55. Actually two guys came out and I had an eight foot ladder set up NEXT to the trailer so that one of them could crawl up and see what was or was not happening. At first they were thinking it was a R12 unit but learned that it actually is a R22 unit. Guy crawled back down and said turn it on, which I did and one of them said compressors not a runnin'. Other guy proceeded to grab the ladder and LEAN it against the side of the trailer. At which time I explained the do' and don'ts of Airstream skin preservation. Well when I was done one of them said "better take this to one them RV places as we don't want to accept the liability" I now know that the compressor doesn't run, but not why.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I'm not an AC expert my any means, but could just be the starting capacitor or a relay and not a bad compressor. The older units can be fixed, but the compressors are expensive and if you have to replace it a new unit will be cheaper. Might have better luck with an independent repair person who works of commercial refrigeration units, this is old technology (did they call even call it technology then?) as far as evaluating what you have. I'd ask around at older mom and pop grocery stores and see who fixes there refrigeration equipment for a lead on some one to look at it other than Bubba and his cousin who obviously don't appreciate Airstreams.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Can anybody identify these?

I just came down off the roof of the AS and while up there removed a few parts from the AC. What are these parts? I'm guessing the large rounded rusty part is a capacitor, the black part says relay on it and the gray rounded part I don't see a description on it. Soooo can anybody identify these? How would one go about determining if they need to be replaced? Once determined replacement is necessary where can they be purchased?
While up there I removed the valve stem covers from two valve stems and accidentally pushed in the stems slightly with a loooong screwdriver. Both valves seem to have a lot of pressure. Here's some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4112.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	105025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4107.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	105027  

Old 06-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Your LH picture shows, left to right, the fan motor capacitor, compressor relay, compressor capacitor.

Your RH picture shows a wiring block. Its purpose is to connect things together.

It would have been nice if your AC guys expressed more interest. Your compressor may be shot, but with what little you have posted, I suspect the relay is bad simply because yous guys never popped a breaker. Bad compressors typically melt internally when bad & pop breakers.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Thanks Tom, I wish they had also. The right hand picture is actually another view of the relay, the post in the upper right actually is still connected to the screw as it pulled right out of the relay. It had a number and I was able to find somebody (Johnstone Controls) whom can get it for about $70.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
A suitable replacement should not cost that much.

Quote:
... whom can get it for about $70.
Way too much.

My relay's packaging is no way near that robust, and it is over 40 years old. If it should crap out tomorrow, I believe I could find a suitable replacement for $20 or so.

Granted, I approach things differently than the average bear, but $70 is too much.

Tom
Old 06-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
I'm all ears and eyes. Where can you find it for so much less? I'd hate to spend $70 and it not be the problem or only one of many problems.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
It can verifyed beforehand

Quote:
... I'd hate to spend $70 and it not be the problem...
A competent AC man can bypass the relay with a simple jumper clip to determine if the relay is the problem.

If you are up to learning new things, contact me offline and I will tell you how to jumper it. Life's all about learning new things.

Tom
Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Can't seem to find an AC man that is willing to work on an AS AC. I'll contact you.

Mike
Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Probably removing AC

I'm almost to the point of removing the AC. If I decide to remove it, I hope to be able to take it apart piece by piece as I will be doing this job alone. I'm not exactly sure yet how to remove the freon, which from what I can see must be done to remove the unit in two pieces (or more). This AC thing is at the point of holding up a lot of other progress, since I can't remove one of the interior ceiling panels. I think I'm going to remove the AC, prep for new AC i.e. make the 14" x 14" opening with framework. Then put a patch over the 14" x 14" and buy an AC later if I decide I need one. This will free up $$$ for other more pressing needs at this time and allow me to progress.