Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2010, 06:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
AC recommendations for Caravel

What's the best replacement for my ac on my 67 Caravel? The old unit hums and it's original so I think the best bet is to just replace it. What's the best value in ac units and are the holes in the roof standard sizes? do I have to worry that it won't fit? thanks
vonzellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
what I did

The Caravel, being small, looks way out of proportion with the big/tall AC unit. Go for a low profile one. Carrier was my choice but they quit making them a couple months ago. Still available if you search around. Dometic Penguin is still here and is a good unit. I replaced the aft mounted AC with a Fantastic Fan unit and had the AC mounted top center....a new 14/14 hole has to be cut. Electricity is already there but you have to install (simple) a drain line. I always install the drain line on the road side to avoid a mess on the door/patio activity area on the curb side.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
I have a low profile Carrier on my 65 Caravel and as far as roof top AC's go, it's probably the most inconspicuous. The previous owner had just recently installed it before I bought the trailer. I'm doing a full restoration and have the interior skins off and noticed that there is no drain line from the AC.

Melody Ranch: Where does the drain line attach to the AC?

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
The Carrier ACs don't use a drain line. Instead they utilize a system that slings the condensation against the hot condenser coils and both evaporate it and cool the condenser. In really humid locations like here in Arkansas, there is still a little runoff. There is a drain adapter for the Carrier Low Profile models, though. You may have to get it from Carrier. I have a regular profile model, so I haven't checked into it.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Another option

I went with a low profile as well. Didn't want to give up the space for a low mounted a/c.

Colin Hyde did a pretty cool installation of a household unit that will slide out. You may want to explore the rest of this website -- there are more good Caravel and other pics.

Episode 22 - Complete - The Vintage Airstream Podcast

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I installed a Low Profile Carrier on my Trade Wind last year. It came with a drain line adapter. The unit looks good and works very well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
If it's original, than 'yes'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzellen View Post
.. do I have to worry that it won't fit?
Modern-day, RV air conditioners are very different than what was the standard for 1967.

All units now require a 14"-square hole in the roof. ACs of Airstream's past required two, significantly smaller holes.

Should you decide to replace the original, Bay Breeze air conditioner, much labor will be involved in the process.

On the flip-side, should you decide to repair the original unit, much money will be involved.

I chose the latter course, and am still very happy with what I did.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Size matters

VZ-

One other thought. We went with the Carrier Air V, the 11,500 btu model. It seems like it has plenty of cooling for our small trailers.

Size is important if you decide to run it off a generator. If you oversize, it might run too little and never remove the mugginess.

As far as fit goes, hopefully you have the power, pan and drain in place. Only one way to find out.

John
Old 02-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
I went with a low profile as well. Didn't want to give up the space for a low mounted a/c.

Colin Hyde did a pretty cool installation of a household unit that will slide out. You may want to explore the rest of this website -- there are more good Caravel and other pics.

Episode 22 - Complete - The Vintage Airstream Podcast

John

I'm doing the same slide-out in my '64 Safari. I have a 8kbtu window AC with remote control. I can run off of a 2k generator with a little power to spare. These little window units can be had for $250 new. I got one for $50 from craigslist, like new. It has plenty of cooling power for the size Airstream I have, and I have it hidden behind my old furnace shroud to keep the outside appearance original.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
Window ac?? Oh and Heat. . .

So is the window unit a vertical rectangle that fits where the old hydroflame heater was? That's pretty cool?

My ac unit is in the middle of the trailer and I have a 12x12 (or so) vent behind it. There is a condensate tube already hooked up.

So, consensus on the roof top units is that is should be low profile and 13,500 btu?

I need a heater as well. I see on ebay the hydro flames are being sold for $349. I'm wondering if this unit will fit where my current unit is. It appears it will. Have any of you replaced the furnace with the Hydro Flame 8012?

Ok, as long as I'm asking. . . what have you done to replace hot water. My unit looks bad--though I've not check it yet. I'm just guessing that it will be easier to replace the appliances in the beginninng than to try to salvage them. Has anyone a good relacement? Has anyone used any of the "instant hot water on demand" units?
vonzellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Our appliances

VZ-

I still recommend the 11.5k btu a/c.

For the water heater, we picked up an RV500 tankless. For a heater, we carry an electric heater for use when we have power and use an Olympian 6K catalytic, mounted on a hinge. Finally the fridge is a Norcold N300, which doesn't require 12v to monitor it.

We had a bit more work to do than you:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f145...vel-45046.html
Old 02-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
I second what 65CV says- go with the carrier low profile 11.5K BTU. I live in the south and the 11.5K will make your trailer feel like a meat locker in the middle of summer. If your removing any of your interior wall panels- go ahead and run a condensate line. I did and am glad I took the time. I hope you can still find one. I found mine on ebay from family RV out of FL. The newer ones come with the drain adaptor.

1967 Caravel

modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
You may find that it's cheaper to get it fixed, if you go to a place that's good at that sort of thing.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Benicia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzellen View Post
So is the window unit a vertical rectangle that fits where the old hydroflame heater was? That's pretty cool?

My ac unit is in the middle of the trailer and I have a 12x12 (or so) vent behind it. There is a condensate tube already hooked up.

So, consensus on the roof top units is that is should be low profile and 13,500 btu?

I need a heater as well. I see on ebay the hydro flames are being sold for $349. I'm wondering if this unit will fit where my current unit is. It appears it will. Have any of you replaced the furnace with the Hydro Flame 8012?

Ok, as long as I'm asking. . . what have you done to replace hot water. My unit looks bad--though I've not check it yet. I'm just guessing that it will be easier to replace the appliances in the beginninng than to try to salvage them. Has anyone a good relacement? Has anyone used any of the "instant hot water on demand" units?
Vonzellen

I had Uwe replace my original hydroflame with a new 8012 model. You can see pics at www.area63productions.com go to the link and look at the entries for the Caravel. He also replaced the water heater.
Stan Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
I'm having difficulty locating a Carrier Low profile 11,500 btu.
Any suggestions? Thanks, Geo...

Tags
caravel