Old 08-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #1

1978 25' Tradewind
Cap City , Utah
AC Problem on my '78 Tradewind

Friends,

This is my first post here! I just got my 28' Tradewind last week. My wife asked me to sell my motorbike since we still have small kids so I used some of the money and bought my Airstream--something we can all recreate in together.

I jumped into this with both feet, not knowing anything about these trailers (I've always wanted one), and found one close to me in my price range.

Everything seemed to work fine when I got home. I had it plugged into my house outlet so I could get the lights working, etc--take an inventory of what was working.

One night, after using my AC a few times, I turned the AC on while I did some work in the trailer and I saw a spark from inside the unit near the nob and then the unit stopped working.

I had my neighborhood friend / electrician take a look at it and we had a bad breaker in the back. We replaced it, but still get nothing from the AC unit nor the front two outlets near the door (one outlet on either side of the trailer). We tried turning it on again and got another spark and since then, nothing at all.

We tested the capacitor and it's fine. I haven't tested the compressor yet, but we will tonight.

Can anyone tell me what AC unit I've got from looking at this picture:

Any other ideas, if it's not the compressor?

Could it be grounding out?

Steven
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3588.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	166437  

Old 08-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
mpc
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Bon Secour , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to mpc
Cant be sure of the make from this picture but I have an a/c business and it sounds to me like you have a junction at the a/c unit where power comes from the breaker to the a/c and then on to the outlets. That junction may have come apart and the sparks could be the wires either touching each other or the trailer frame. Your electrician should be able to open the unit up frrom the inside of the trailer and find that connection. If he has already checked that then look for loose wires at the control knobs or relays.
Good luck on that, your `78 looks identical to my `73 and I know you and your family will have a ball in it. Post some pics of the inside to, ours is a 25`.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , United States
It's the original Armstrong AC.
Greg
Old 08-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #4

1978 25' Tradewind
Cap City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpc View Post
Cant be sure of the make from this picture but I have an a/c business and it sounds to me like you have a junction at the a/c unit where power comes from the breaker to the a/c and then on to the outlets. That junction may have come apart and the sparks could be the wires either touching each other or the trailer frame. Your electrician should be able to open the unit up frrom the inside of the trailer and find that connection. If he has already checked that then look for loose wires at the control knobs or relays.
Good luck on that, your `78 looks identical to my `73 and I know you and your family will have a ball in it. Post some pics of the inside to, ours is a 25`.
Excellent.

I spent 3 hours in the trailer tonight and found the problem . . just what you said. Two wires touching--it fried one wire and the terminal of another. It's all up and running now, I'm so stoked.

I'll post more pictures tomorrow.

Steven
Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
mpc
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Bon Secour , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to mpc
super, I know what it is like to win one every now and then also.