Old 07-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I have a voltmeter plugged into a wall socket. I make sure the needle stays in the green area on the scale.

Click image for larger version

Name:	29375b.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	162782

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Idroba & Jammer

I suspect that if the Airstream AC units were of the high efficiency type, ie. 11 amp draw versus 15 amp draw, then boondockers might be able to use a smaller generator, ie. one 2,000 watt unit instead of two 2k units or one 3k unit.

I would say that it is real important for all Airstreamers to specify the high efficiency model when replacing an older unit, ie. spend another $50-$100 on the AC unit and save $1,000 by being able to use a smaller genny.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #17
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota

I don't think there are any true high-efficiency rooftop A/C units, as the term is usually applied to window units. There just isn't enough space for the coils.

I haven't heard of anyone being able to start any A/C reliably with a single 2000W generator.
To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Has anyone tried one of the high efficiency units I mentioned in my above posts on a generator? The specifications show a considerably lower current draw from the compressor, as well as a lower locked rotor current. The compressor itself is different, most likely a scroll compressor. While Jammer is correct that the small coils in a rooftop unit limit what you can do, there have been a lot of advancements in compressors and that is where the higher efficiency is coming from on the RV units. If we ever got such things as inverter technology into compressors on RV equipment there could be more advances. Unfortunately, it is a business where lowest cost rules and in general the campground owner pays the power bill, so little is done to change things.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have the Carrier high efficiency model and it's been running on our Honda 2000 for 4 years now with no complaint. When we use our Safari for a guest house in our back yard it runs on a 20 amp service and has never tripped a breaker. Unfortunately Carrier no longer offers this model for RV's. Our local Fire Department uses the same setup in their Firewise Training Trailer and hasn't had a problem either. So idroba you are correct.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
11000 unit draw

My 012 Sport came with an 11000 btu unit. I believe it is a Dometic. I run it in my back yard on an outside outlet I upgraded to 30 amp. Originally it ran briefly on what I discovered was a 15 amp breaker, which it would eventually pop. Now I run it as much as I want, even with the refrig and other electrics running in the AS.

I have a digital voltage/current protection monitor and have observed the total amp draw runs from about 17 to 19 amps. And that is with the ac compressor running, as well as the refrig. I have never seen it hit 20 amps yet.

Again, this is the noisy stock ac and is only 11000 btu. But it cools very well. Even in the 110+ heat of Palm Springs, recently, I had to turn it down to keep it from icing up when running constantly. They advertise that you should expect it to lower outside temp by 20 degrees. That would have been at 90 degrees inside, but I was very cool, even cold at night, for a whole week of sweltering temps.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

Thanks for chiming in. We now have one data point. I figured it would work ok, but the only way to find out is to run the high eff. AC with a 2k genny and see how it does. That is how I found out that I could run mu 5k AC unit with my 1k genny. The steady state power consumption is only 460 watts. I also powered my tv, 2 lights, computer and charged cell phones during the recent power outage.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote