Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
AC pan replacement

I could use some advice.

A few weeks ago I hit a low hanging branch with the AC unit of my trailer and knocked a hole in the AC shroud. I replaced the shroud, but now I have a leak when it rains. As long as the trailer is setting level there is no leak, it's just when it is parked in storage, not level.

Also, now there is drip on the interior from condensate when the AC is running. This is new since hitting the branch. I checked the hose connection to the pan and it is connected and it is not stopped up. Condensate is dripping from the tube on the curb side lke it is supposed to do.

I assume the impact affected the pan and/or gasket, so I'm thinking I will dig into this and do a pan/gasket replacement myself.

I researched several threads, but did not find any with photo's of this repair. If this repair is documented with photos somewhere on the forum, will someone point me in the right direction? And, I could use some written direction if pictures are not available. This will be a first time experience of an AC repair for me.

I have tube frame scaffolding and aluminum boards to get above the trailer, I know about fall protection, and I have a basic understanding of the hazards of the electrical components, so I will be safe!

Thanks in advance!
Alan
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Probably what happened is the impact cracked the pan. You will probably find the pan is attached by about 5 pounds of Vulkem, and it will need to be scraped off so the new pan will fit properly (and not leak). After you get the old pan off, you will need about 2-3 tubes of Vulkem to put down under it, and a roll of double sided sticky tape for the area between the pan and the a/c.
Find a shady spot to do this, you don't want to keel over and fall off your trailer in the heat.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Probably what happened is the impact cracked the pan. You will probably find the pan is attached by about 5 pounds of Vulkem, and it will need to be scraped off so the new pan will fit properly (and not leak). After you get the old pan off, you will need about 2-3 tubes of Vulkem to put down under it, and a roll of double sided sticky tape for the area between the pan and the a/c.
Find a shady spot to do this, you don't want to keel over and fall off your trailer in the heat.

I talked to the guys at the sales counter on Friday, to make sure they had what I need. I'll be coming over soon to pickup the materials. Though, I'm thinking about putting a tarp on top and waiting till October for the fix. It has been crazy HOT, and my parking spot is in the sun most of the day!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
It has been crazy HOT, and my parking spot is in the sun most of the day!
You know, that trailer has wheels... You COULD tow it to a campground that wouldn't mind if you did a little maintenance over the weekend. Ask for a shady spot.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
For some reason, a weekend at the campground without AC does not seem to appealing right now

I think I'll wait till it cools down