Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Prairieville , Louisiana
AC needs freon charge? 1977 excella

Hello all,

Purchased a 77 AS and used it for the first time this weekend. Found the fan not turning after a day of AC use. Water started to seep through the internal shroud and follow the trim piece inside the trailer. I pulled the shroud off/cracked it due to rusted bolts with nothing to grab on to. and found the compressor to be iced up. AC seems to be original and need to get item number/model/etc..

After researching this site... I know to try and clear the drain line near the tires that may eliminate the leaking problem inside. I will check the level of the AS to insure proper alignment.. I know it is a little off at the moment and may be leaning away from the drain hole or its plugged.

In my limited ac experience.. freezing may be caused by low freon, dirty fins/coils, or blocked air vents on the inside. Is there anything else I should be aware of or check while I have the AC accessible?

The fan motor also would not start spinning when I turned the unit on. Gently taped the blades.. to give it a little help and kicked butt turning after that.. A little oil near the motor shaft and I hope all is well with the fan motor. I have also read about capacitors? Can this potentially be a problem/cause for the fan motor not initiating?

Lastly, I plan on putting freon R-22 into the unit to help eliviate the icing.
Can anyone give me detailed steps on how this is done. Compressor running /not running. Is there more than one port that can be attatched to the freon. I read something about a vaccum line seen from the rear of the ac unit. (is this where I should connect?)

Thanks to all in advance and will post photos of the renovations recently made. (Antique heart pine floors throughout, lots of cleaning...) frame repair.

Eternal thanks to all veterans out there..

Gunny
gunny2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny2007
Hello all,

Purchased a 77 AS and used it for the first time this weekend. Found the fan not turning after a day of AC use. Water started to seep through the internal shroud and follow the trim piece inside the trailer. I pulled the shroud off/cracked it due to rusted bolts with nothing to grab on to. and found the compressor to be iced up. AC seems to be original and need to get item number/model/etc..

After researching this site... I know to try and clear the drain line near the tires that may eliminate the leaking problem inside. I will check the level of the AS to insure proper alignment.. I know it is a little off at the moment and may be leaning away from the drain hole or its plugged.

In my limited ac experience.. freezing may be caused by low freon, dirty fins/coils, or blocked air vents on the inside. Is there anything else I should be aware of or check while I have the AC accessible?

The fan motor also would not start spinning when I turned the unit on. Gently taped the blades.. to give it a little help and kicked butt turning after that.. A little oil near the motor shaft and I hope all is well with the fan motor. I have also read about capacitors? Can this potentially be a problem/cause for the fan motor not initiating?

Lastly, I plan on putting freon R-22 into the unit to help eliviate the icing.
Can anyone give me detailed steps on how this is done. Compressor running /not running. Is there more than one port that can be attatched to the freon. I read something about a vaccum line seen from the rear of the ac unit. (is this where I should connect?)

Thanks to all in advance and will post photos of the renovations recently made. (Antique heart pine floors throughout, lots of cleaning...) frame repair.

Eternal thanks to all veterans out there..

Gunny
Instructions to recharge the AC, are easy.

But, for what brand AC and model #.

Assuming that's it's the original, is not wise.

Recharging will require a set oif AC gauges, and knowledge of the ambient temperature when refilling is an absolute must.

How much pressure depends on the ambient temperature at the time of refilling.

If it's the original AC, there is a port for the low side.

Caution. If the unit needs freon, then it has a leak.

Locating and correcting the leak, must be done prior to recharging.

If the leak is in the tubing, you will have to drain the freon before you can fix the leak.

Then once you drain the freon, you may have to pull a vacuum on the system, down to at least 29 inches, so that you will remove any moisture
that may have entered the system. Moisture can enter the system very fast.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Prairieville , Louisiana
Thanks Andy,

I will get the model # and brand. The AC cools very well and I may just need to clean the coils and any other dusty area. I hope this will eliviate the icing problem. Any suggetions for the leak inside the unit. May be a blocked vent tube or other?

Gunny
Old 11-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny2007
Thanks Andy,

I will get the model # and brand. The AC cools very well and I may just need to clean the coils and any other dusty area. I hope this will eliviate the icing problem. Any suggetions for the leak inside the unit. May be a blocked vent tube or other?

Gunny
Drop the interior shroud.

You should find clear plastic tubing that connects to the drain pan, goes thru the walls, and comes out behind the left rear tire.

You probably will find that it's stopped up. Cleaning it will cure the water problem. This again is assuming that you have the original AC.

The freeze up can mean an over charge of freon. Is there plenty of air movement in the inside of the trailer?

You can put a gauge to the low pressure port and see what the pressure is after about 10 minutes. Check the ambient temperature.

Let me know what that pressure reading is and I will let you know about the freon level.

CAUTION: If you do not connect and disconnect the gauge correctly, you could release some freon. If that freon should hit your eyes, you will more than likely lose some eye sight.

If your not exactly positive how to connect and disconnect the gauge, then don't. Have someone with the proper experience do it for you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Prairieville , Louisiana
Thanks again Andy,

I have a guy who does HVAC work very close to where the AS is parked.
There is plenty of air movemet in the trailer and cools well.

The interior shroud is a pain to remove, it is "straddled" above the tracks for the sliding doors seperating the kitchen from the twin bed room. I tried many different times to remove it and started to crack the shroud. I guess I would have to remove the door tracks to gain complete access.

Andy, I will get the pressure readings for the freon level and record the ambient temperature as well.

I really appreciate you help and this forum is a library of knowledge. When I ever need ANY part or supplies I'll be ordering from your source.

Gunny