Old 04-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
AC leaks when it rains.

Recently my AC has started leaking when it is raining. I have tried tightening up the four mounting bolts (still leaking) but I am afraid of over doing it. How can I tell how tight I can go without doing damage to the skin or frame as it is blind in that area and I can not see to tell.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
I just got done putting a new gasket on my AC to fix a leak. If you have a leak and the gasket is compressed to less than 1/2" in height, it's time for a new gasket.

When I replaced mine I found that the opening wasn't fully framed, so I fixed that while I was in there. On the older trailers, the original AC didn't have the same mounting configuration so if a newer unit has been fitted it's probably worth popping the bottom off to take a look.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thank you. I will give it a look tomorrow.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Hi, Micheal - We had our AC replaced by the boys at Out Of Doors Mart. It seeped a bit of moisture into the opening afterwards. They took it off and re-sealed the installation, as well as adding two bits of framing as Kyle said. Dry as a bone now.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I recently replaced my A/C seal. The seal that the RV dealership (not an Airstream dealer) had in stock was a four-part seal that mitered together at the corners. Do these work OK or am I going to have to replace it with a one-piece seal?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I recently replaced my A/C seal. The seal that the RV dealership (not an Airstream dealer) had in stock was a four-part seal that mitered together at the corners. Do these work OK or am I going to have to replace it with a one-piece seal?
The one piece seal isn't a molded gasket so it still has at least 1 glued miter corner. If the 4 piece gasket was properly assembled it should work.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Check the AC drip pan... We had a leak when it rained and upon inspection there was a crack in the pan adjacent to the location of the drain tube attachment. A little 30 minute epoxy fixed the problem.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Good suggestion but unfortunetly that is not where the water is coming from. It is obviously leaking from the outside when it rains. The crappy drip pan/drain issue is a whole different problem.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle401 View Post
I just got done putting a new gasket on my AC to fix a leak. If you have a leak and the gasket is compressed to less than 1/2" in height, it's time for a new gasket.

When I replaced mine I found that the opening wasn't fully framed, so I fixed that while I was in there. On the older trailers, the original AC didn't have the same mounting configuration so if a newer unit has been fitted it's probably worth popping the bottom off to take a look.
My TT is different brand, mount, etc, but for the OP I am of the opinion that the prolonged heat of our summers means maybe five years on the mounting gasket (cushion). Silver Streak used aluminum framing at the penetration, and I replicated the OEM mount by also using a gel cel aluminized tape (a couple of rolls) which appeared identical to factory underneath and wrapping over the opening (as I was R&R'ng the the original unit on two different TT's).

The latest TT seems to pull outside air (as interior humidity rises). OEM Dometic unit. You can bet I know what I'll find once I pull it off.

Good luck

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Good suggestion but unfortunetly that is not where the water is coming from. It is obviously leaking from the outside when it rains. The crappy drip pan/drain issue is a whole different problem.
Bummer, thought I had that one solved ... I am confident you will pinpoint the problem and get it resolved.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Recently my AC has started leaking when it is raining. I have tried tightening up the four mounting bolts (still leaking) but I am afraid of over doing it. How can I tell how tight I can go without doing damage to the skin or frame as it is blind in that area and I can not see to tell.
I can relate to your problem well. A PO of my camper had apparently placed his knees near the AC while doing something and I have two indentions right in front of the AC that puddle when it rains.
Last summer, I removed the upper shroud and discovered that the drain was clogged with debris. After cleaning this out, I had thought the leaking problem was resolved. However, after traveling in a drenching rain a few weeks back, I found my floor wet (not flooded).
The problem I've encountered is how to remove the bottom (interior) shroud in order to repair the indentions on the roof. Check out the drain. Can't really speak about the gasket as I haven't got that far yet.