Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
AC just quit working and it's Hot Hot Hot!!!

I mean that it just stopped no fan or anything. It was working fine up until it stopped. I have a feeling that it is the thermostat. But would entertain other thoughts. All equipment is still original from 74'. I haven't taken anything apart yet but will tomorrow. Can I take the old thermostat to a AC supply house for replacement or do I need to go to an RV supply. My only saving grace is that this week the nights have been cool so far. But I don't think that this will last too much longer.
Thanks For the help, SL
Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Did you check the breaker? There should be a 20 amp breaker that feeds the AC unit.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Wow I wish it were only that easy. But I did try that. I also tried the main supply breakers for the Airstream and they are fine also. Still looking for the answer.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Ok now I checked a little further and think that I might have a bad breaker on the main supply breaker. Where as I am only being supplied 110 on one side of the breaker. Everything else in the AS works fine. I don't have my circuit tester with me so I will have to wait until tomorrow to get it off the job. Until then campers.
Thanks, SL
Old 07-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
This is gonna have a good ending . . . I just feel it.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Well I am still looking for that happy ending. I got my circuit tester and tested every breaker in sight, even some that had nothing to do with it. Both 20 amps breakers in the AS are hot on both in and out. There is ground. I took apart the thermostat and no loose wires. I have a voltage tester and checked to see if there was any low voltage running to the threm and there was. So I made a small jumper and jumped some of the wire terminals under the therm after I took it apart. Guess what, the AC unit kicked on. So do any of you experts think I might need to replace the thermostat? Or what? Remember it is 74' vintage. And again if this is true can I get one at Home Depot or do I need to go to an RV supply? They are the same distance from me.
Thanks, SL
Old 07-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Ok my happy ending is near. I just got a small wire brush, some contact cleaner spray and brushed any contacts I could find then sprayed them. I put the thermostat back together and on it the AC came. But I still think that it is iffy and would like to replace it. So any help as to where to get it would be appreciated.
Thanks, SL

Wow!! It was hot working in there without the AC. It's 90 here @ 12 noon.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Whew! this is almost a cliff hanger!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
I checked at Home Depot and they only carry thermostats that heat and cool. Does that matter? I didn't see any of those that had a high-low fan speed switch. At the RV supply they had a Demetic brand that had a high-low but with heat. By the way the AC has been working fine since I got back this afternoon. But I would still like to get a new thermostat. I am sure that someone out there has replaced theirs and could offer a little advise. Anyone?
Thanks, SL
Old 07-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Laurens , South Carolina
We just replaced our thermostat in our 79 A/S with a digital one from Lowes. It seems to be working just fine, so I don't think it is necessary to go to an RV dealer, but our AC unit also has heat on it. I'm not exactly sure if it is just an AC unit but I would think it would work fine.
Ttuck118 is offline   Reply With Quote