Old 09-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
AC internal returns workmanship

When looking over the trailer's internal return area, it is poor workmanship to say the least. I was scrutinizing it as per our last trailer issues and it was on this trailers list for sure.

Well again, the 110 V junction boxes, yes both one this trailer and 1 one our last, is just hanging around in the coil area unsecured. I will get some doubled sided tape to secure before traveling anymore.

The cut outs for the return grills are sloppy and the grills are bowed when set into place. No matter which ones when swapped out. Jagged edges with sharp hastily cut with shears. I was at the factory and saw the computer cut out tables, so why are the vents cut by hand so sloppily?

The AC return areas are poorly done as well. The reflective bubble foil is just layer in there with wires keeping it folded and distorted. Towards the sides of the cavities, that area is just open to the fiberglass insulation and the void. I don't think it is the ducting though. So I have sealed all the cracks and crevices with aluminum foil tape, the true duct tape, sucured all wires and drip lines, etc... With I might add, receiving plenty of cuts and scrapes from the sharp edges if hastily done cutouts.

I feel that in doing this I may have better return air and ducting. What do you guys think? I would suggest that others with ducting, to look up in their AC return cavity.

I am also getting cold air exiting from the other AC in the non-operating AC return vent. Is this normal?

Sphere

Old 09-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
ntsbltsrvits

2015 27' FB International
2016 30' International
Felton , California
I've been told that it is normal to get AC out of the opposite non-operating vents. That its all open up there. I did notice the rear bedroom cools off quickly, even with just the front AC on.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Some things never change....

My '78 return air path looks like they cut it out with an axe.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:00 AM   #4
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
The way they all leak it's a miracle they can sell one....
Old 09-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
And I'll second that statement...
Old 09-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #6
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
The ducting is continuous from front to rear. This really works quite well. At night, we'll just run the forward A/C and it more than adequately sends enough cool air to the rear of the trailer. Noiseless cool air! And, when it's not really hot and humid, we'll run the 13,500 unit in the rear to cool the front of the trailer. I like the system, but have also noticed that the installers weren't very careful when they installed it. Messy job to say the least.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I have a 2016 30' FC with one AC.
It does have the two return air screens in the ceiling, with the filter screens.
So HOW does one remove them without bending them all to Hell?
-I just want to check them over as 'Sphere Guy' has done; and to clean the filters.
I have NO literature on the subject.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
The return air grills have a little notch in one end. Use a small screwdriver to pop the grill off. I can pop mine off with my hands now that they've been off a few times. My return air is just as sloppy as everyone else's, complete with electrical boxes hanging loose. Sad!
Southlake, TX
WBCCI
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:20 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Wheatley , Ontario
Quality control issues like this will certainly hurt AS. Currently demand (and therefore prices) are high. It will not always stay like this. I remember walking into a Harley Davidson Dealership at the height of their success about 10 years ago. I wanted to order a Fatboy in black. I was told they would put my name on the list and whatever color came in would be MY color
I did not order... Poor quality on chrome parts for example, very expensive parts and questionable customer service took its toll very soon. Look at Harley Davidson now, many dealerships are closed. Customers only take so much. My .02 cents...
Old 09-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I am very unhappy with the vents that they use for the ducted ac. Does anyone know of a decent replacement?
Old 09-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
The early 15's were delivered with vents that were non-adjustable. Basically, just heavy stainless steel screens. Thus, all vents were always open -- everywhere. Trust me, the adjustable vents are far superior. Like many others who had the early 15's, we replaced the "screens" with what you don't like!

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote