Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Hoping roaming again soon , Massachusetts
AC Ideas Needed

Hello Everyone,

I am seeking ideas for a non-roof, extra small AC unit that I could tuck into a cabinet or that I could build a compartment to house the unit. I have been reading other threads and have been trying to decide what would work best for something simple and out of the way.

My wife and I are full-time in a 23 ft land yacht safari that we are now renovating. We are not AC people particularly and will use it rather sparingly when we are home. However, we have a large dog (Wiem) and she will need AC on those hot days while we are working or when we head to a warmer climate on the west coast for a few months later this year.

If anyone has any thoughts or experiences that might help it would certainly be welcome. We wanted to avoid the roof install as I am not comfortable cutting a hole in our roof. The local RV dealer is expensive and has said he has no experience working on an airstream and would not be sure how to go about it. I prefer the original airstream styling and we really like to use the vents. Of course, appearances are not as important but just something to consider.
Chime in folks! Looking forward to suggestions.

Foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The window units rarely work out satisfactorily as they will not get sufficient airflow unless they project beyond the wall an objectionable amount (usually 6-8" for the smaller ones). This means installing in the front or rear end cap. Front won't work without relocating the propane, rear may work depending on your floorplan.

Someone put a sliding arrangement in a side compartment so that the A/C can be slid out for use and slid back in for storage. No reports on how well it cooled, but you can find the thread if you search for it.

Smokeless Joe installed a mini split system. They are costly but work well. Search on his user name if you want to see it.

The rooftop installs are ordinarily the cheapest and best way.

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
There are small portable units which normally sit on the floor and hot air from the condenser exhausts through what looks like a dryer vent hose out a window.

Given that your trailer is a 23' I personally wouldn't want to give up any storage space for installing something like this. I'd just haul it in the tow vehicle and set it up off to one side in my trailer's living room when needed on those rare occasions.

These units can be set up to collect the condensate water in a pan, which you will have to dump out, and I suppose that would be easy enough. Regarding the exhaust vent, maybe you could modify a window screen so that a flap opens with velcro allowing the vent to poke out. You'd need some sort of panel, maybe foam core board, to blank off the rest of the open window.

blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
here are some that might give you some ideas....

split units
Ramsond Corp AC Division (Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioners)

spot cooler
Windchaser SC7 Portable Spot Air Conditioner / Dehumidifier

there are battery powered units for truck cabs
Bergstrom - NITE Phoenix
2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Installed a Frigidaire Window-Mounted Slider / Casement Air Conditioner Model: FAK085R7V 14-3/16" W x 20-1/4" H x 24-1/2" D, 8,000 btu, Amps (Cool): 7.2. in my 1955 Safari, works great. Putting air on roof top air was not an option. Check out my below thread.

toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
IMHO, the ones that people stick into AS windows (like you see on some homes) look ridiculous on a trailer. I also wonder how stable they are for travelling.

The split ones are fabulous, but very pricey.

The ones that are sold for homes that consist of a large box on wheels that uses dryer-vent type hoses to a window would be in the way all the time in a TT. Also, Consumers Reports says they are very inefficient (ie, they blow).

I say don't give up on a proper roof one, that your trailer was designed to take. There are several Camping World places in NH, any of whom could do a good job. And NH isn't far for an AirStreamer, is it?

You won't regret doing it the right way. Ah gah-ron-tee it!
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Hoping roaming again soon , Massachusetts
Thanks for the links and tips. I'll check them all out keep you posted what we decide. The roof option sure is a space saver!

Foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote