Old 06-21-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Post AC for my Argosy

Dear Forum Members, I have a 1976 Argosy 22 foot trailer with no AC. I have looked into buying an air conditioning unit but they all say that a standard 14" x 14" opening is needed in the roof for installation of the roof unit. I am measuring about 12" x 12" on the opening of my roof vent. Did the Argosies come with smaller size roof vents when air conditioners did not come with them or am I measuring wrong. Will I have to have a larger opening put in my Argosy in order to have an air conditioning unit installed. Any advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely Ray

Old 06-21-2005, 11:54 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
I'm no expert here but - our argosy has a vent and an ac.

I suspect that if you want to install ac, you have to make a new hole.... I'd also bet that some kind of extra support is needed along the edges of that hole.... has anyone here done this?

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:26 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Rivet been there, done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
I'm no expert here but - our argosy has a vent and an ac.

I suspect that if you want to install ac, you have to make a new hole.... I'd also bet that some kind of extra support is needed along the edges of that hole.... has anyone here done this?
Our Argosy 20 had the rear vent removed, and it was replaced with an A/C unit. The Argosy 22 had an A/C unit installed in the center vent hole, the hole in yours may need to be enlarged. New air conditioners are designed to clamp the roof between its two halves, so you will need to take a 2x4, and cut it to match the contour of the roof. You should also find wiring for your new A/C in or near the center vent area.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:51 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
If your unit was prewired (based on the model year it should have been) there will be an electrical outlet in the ceiling near where the Ac hole would need to be cut.

If in doubt you can call the factory tech support number and they will be able to giver you the correct measurement form rib zero to cut the hole. Rib zero is the first rib in the front of the trailer.

Once you cut the hole you will find a drain tube in the wall. The power outlet that was in the ceiling will be removed and the wires will be connected to the AC VIA wire nuts. The front and sides of the opening will be fine for the mounting method of the new AC's but you will need to brace the rear skins apart. By using the factory measurements you will be taking advantage of the built in bracing that was put there for this reason.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
By using the factory measurements you will be taking advantage of the built in bracing that was put there for this reason.
The service manual shows 96" aft of rib O for the front edge of the hole.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
My 22'

My newly acquired Argosy 22' has a Shur Start AC mounted mid ship....between the front and rear roof vent. Here is a picture of it.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001F.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	12968  
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Post Thanks to all for your great info.

Thanks to all of you for the information on how to get started with installing AC in my 1976 Argosy 22 footer. I don't relish the thought of cutting a large square hole between my front and rear vents and will probably call the factory tech support number for a little more information on where to make the cuts. But working on this coach has been part of the fun of owning it. Thanks Again from Ray and his Argosy "Baby Beluga"
Old 06-23-2005, 01:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray matthews
Thanks to all of you for the information on how to get started with installing AC in my 1976 Argosy 22 footer. I don't relish the thought of cutting a large square hole between my front and rear vents and will probably call the factory tech support number for a little more information on where to make the cuts. But working on this coach has been part of the fun of owning it. Thanks Again from Ray and his Argosy "Baby Beluga"

It's good to see some posts from Argosy/AS owners in Kansas (KSU grad/Wildcat country). I was worried there weren't any there. I grew up in Abilene....45 miles west of Manhattan....and we've never seen any in our travels back to Kansas! We're now in Oregon lost among all these trees!
Good luck on your restoration....I know you'll need an AC in Kansas in the summer (from experience)!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
I have never had an AC unit off of a trailer.
I would like to know is the feed through on most AC units a 12" x 12" cutout?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:54 PM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
I have never had an AC unit off of a trailer.
I would like to know is the feed through on most AC units a 12" x 12" cutout?

A 12X12 to 14X14 hole is necessary. The unit drops into the hole. The Air is usually drawn in at the sides, and then once cooled forced down the center ducting to the Air distribution box and out the vents.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Send a message via Yahoo to stinkytwinky
Would you look at that

Keep looking because there are brands out there that only require a small hole, because the condenser is housed inside. I saw one on a 1965 25'? International over the past weekend.

Other than the above you are going to have to cut your top both inside and out and install the A/C through it. Definately call the Airstream tech support line. I would also recommend you call in a professional for assistance or to do the job. As you have read above they were all prewired for A/C I believe it was 65 and up?

I am attaching pictures of mine, it is a 1974 28' Argosy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Resize of maiden voyage 5.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	12973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize maiden voyage 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	12975  

Name:	Resize maiden voyage 3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	12976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of maiden voyage 4.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	12977  

Old 06-23-2005, 10:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

If you check my Member Photos section you can see what I did for my 1977 Argosy Minuet.
I called the factory tech line and they told me the center of the 14x14 inch hole from "Rib 0". That is the first rib from the front of the trailer. It is simple thing to do once you know where the center of the hole has to be.
As for the drain tube, that will depend upon which brand of A/C you go with. If you get a Dometic you can use the Airstream drip pan. They run somewhere from $80-$100 for the pan.
Your trailer is already wired for A/C all you need to do is to cut the hole. I am pretty sure that your trailer will put the A/C near the back vent. I do not think it would go where the existing vent is at right now. I could be wrong so ask Airstream tech support.
If there is anything I can help you with, please let me know.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I am going to have new a/cs installed,the one in the front will be a straight replacement. The one in the rear will utlize the 14"x14" opening that has the fantastic sitting in it. I have two questions; the first is has anyone run a line from the top of the trailer to the bottom inside the wall? I would like for both my drain line and power line to run in the wall. Second I am going to run a second shore power line for the rear ac unit so that it will plug into a 20 amp outlet while the trailer is using the normal 30 amp cord. I am looking for a curcuit box that is as small as possible to put alongside my current 30 amp box. Any suggestions? Thanks
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

My AC unit doesn't have the optional heating funtion. The selector says "heater ( optional )". I thought it might come in handy, but I
wonder how well the heaters mounted high up on the ceiling would work.
Do people use them ? Dave