Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
1968 22' Safari
Detroit , MI
AC for 1968 Safari 22'

I just bought this unit, nice shape. It does not have AC. Based on what I have read here is what I think the situation is in order to install AC:

1.). Wiring is present (can see adjacent to breaker box).
2.). AC is to be installed in middle vent.
3.). Wiring goes to location of middle vent. Drain tube located there, too. Correct??
4.). Current AC units for sale contain own drip pan. I don't need anything further. Correct?
5.). Aluminum wiring so need a special adapter for safety.
6.). 11 - 12k BTU should be sufficient.
7.). Framing to support AC should be in place in the designated area.

Am I missing something? What unit would allow for the most straightforward installation. Ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks, David

DocSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Hi...Welcome. I am not sure if the wiring is in place on a 68. It was not on my 66.
Middle vent is the place for it.
There was no existing vent line on the 66.
Check the AC you buy. Some do require a drip pan....some don't.
On my 66 I went with a 15000. I spend all my time in hot humid areas and an 11000 - 12000 would not be good enough.
Pull the vent and check for bracing in place. Easy enough to install.
Pictures are welcomed here. Check the trailer of the page....and search for info.

"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
1968 22' Safari
Detroit , MI
Thanks so much!! (Sorry for taking so long to get back. Unintended travel ..... )

Anyhow, I just removed the middle vent (horrific job with the decades old sealant) and the excellent news is that the electrical line is there waiting for me! Bravo!! What is NOT there is a drain hose to the outside, I presume between the inner and outer skin. I really expected to see that. Any ideas on how I would handle that?

The trailer is in my garage in far northern MN and I will be dedicating next winter to interior renovation. Obviously I would like to get the exterior work wrapped up soon.

Thank you!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
What I found on my 68 is that the hole is 14" X 14" the AC requires 14 1/4" x 14 1/4"
David & Diana
DFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
1968 22' Safari
Detroit , MI
David & Diana!

Thanks! On your '68 is the AC located in the location of the previous middle vent? I got all excited above after removing that vent today and finding a nice power cable waiting for me. Unfortunately I got suspicious and went back and measured and it is a 12 volt feed, presumably for another fan vent. So any information on the exact location of your AC and source of 120 VAC power will ease my momentary frustration.

BTW, the wiring in my unit is all ALCOA aluminum wiring necessitating some special, but not difficult, connectors.

Regards, david
Old 08-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The a/c that was intended for your trailer had a single small hole for the plumbing and fan motor shaft, so no 14x14 hole would have been provided. The spot for it would be roughly a couple of feet ahead of the rear vent, you will have to build your own braces for it, and will probably find the drain hose and wiring in that location.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote