Old 08-28-2003, 08:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Cool AC filter maintenence

I'm new at this but last March I bought a 1978 31' Excella and
located it on a friends 1/2 acre in Rivetrside , Ca . We both lost our homes in the Williams forest fire last sept. in the Angeles National forest and had lived there for some 27 years . My friend lives in the modest home we remodeled and I reside in the Excella
500 with my old dog.
The problem I'm having is with my A/C it's just not cutting the mustard as most days are in the low 100's here second only to Palm Springs and Death Valley. We've solved the amp (30) issue
by running a separate 30 amp circut #8 wire in the ground with the proper outlet for the trailer plug etc. I've cleaned the sponge filter I found on the inside under the cover but I read that the Duo-Therm has 2 filters . Now here's the question : Do I go outside with a ladder to the top and removve the shroud that covers the unit , and will I find the possible problem under that ?

Old 08-28-2003, 10:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Sorry to hear about your loss.
I don't know about the second filter, mine ( Armstrong ) has only the one inside.
Are you parked in the shade ?? Have awnings ??
I would call the mfg. or visit their web site before taking the unit apart. It just may not be big enough for the sq.ft.

Garry

Old 08-28-2003, 12:35 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Hey Gary ,
Since my last post i removed the shroud only to find that the
Duo-therm has no exterior filters to be cleaned only the foam one inside . everything looked good outside so i buttoned it up and put the awning back down . The unit is working well as we speak . We wired a 30 amp circut and receptical for the trailer plug so that's all new the only thing it can be is me not knowing how to set the thermostat correctly . It has a Armstrong thermostat heating / cooling plus it has a Airguide digital Home Weather station with buttons for Max - Min - Mem and a switch for Int and Ext I'm hoping it will continue to work as it's now 100 outside .....................Rich Orton
Old 08-28-2003, 06:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
My unit is quite a bit older but I have separate thermos for heat and air. Heat in bedroom and air in front living/ dining room.
I'm sure you know the AirGuide is totaly separate and has no control over the temp it just recorders the highest and lowest and displays the current temp inside or outside per the switch setting. I used to have an Airguide and now have an Atomic clock that is more accurate plus has the auto time update.

100 deg is tough to cope with and the unit may just not be big enough.

Garry
Old 08-28-2003, 07:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rich.

Measure the AC intake temperature, and the cold exhaust temperature, as close to the intake or exhaust as you can.

The difference between these two temperatures should be about 15 degrees.

If it's less than that, then the AC needs service. If it's at 15 degrees, then the AC is doing all it can.

Originally, your trailer had an Armstrong unit. Now you says it's a Duotherm. If so, what is the cooling capacity? Someone could have put a smaller unit on the trailer.

Carrier makes a 15,000 BTU unit, that could be installed, seeing that you live in the desert.

Andy
Old 08-28-2003, 07:57 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Gary ,
I don't know what I did but it worked all day quite nicely . I think I did it with the Armstrong thermostat...............Rich
Old 08-28-2003, 08:18 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Andy ,The intake temp from in front of the louvers on top ?? Anr the exhaust would be taken inside from the vent ?? Tomorrow will be a good test I'm located off the Pedley off ramp n/o 60 fry
on Fleming . Thanks for the tips . hoping for the best .....Rich
Old 08-29-2003, 07:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If you pull the cover pull the sheet metal and clean the condensor and evaporater coils. Very likely they haven't been been cleaned for years and are full of crud and airflow is zip.

John
Old 08-29-2003, 08:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rich.

The intake and exhaust temps are taken in the inside of the trailer.

Place the thermometers immediately in the air flow intake and exhaust of the interior air box.

Andy
Old 08-29-2003, 10:12 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Andy ,
I'm starting to get the hang of this and i will try the temp.
test later in the peek hours . All is well as of now and it worked
good yesterday..................... Thanks again , Rich
Old 08-29-2003, 12:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
If you have an AC temp gage to test the cold air temp coming out of the AC it should be 56 deg or less. The gage has a small face and a 3 or 4 in stem that you can get between the vent slots it is a fast acting gage and sells for less than $5.
Any temp gage will work but will take longer to get a reading and may not be quite as accurate.

Garry
Old 08-29-2003, 01:29 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Hey Gary Thanks ,
I've taken the themometer we had for outside temp and put it to the intake and to the exhaust and did come up with a 15 degree difference as per Andy's test so the the thing is charged enough to do the job . I turned it on and went to the hardware store at 9:00am on low , when I got back turned it to high but the compressor did not go to it's usual speed . I'm finding the only way to solve this is to turn the whole thing off and let it sit for 30 mins or so then back on to full speed and it'll cool off the Twinkie to a confortable temp. Life has been a struggle since my cabin burned and some days are better than others, lets hope the weather will cool down soon , we'll be delt better hands and the fish will be bitin' on the banks of one of these so.calif lakes ! Rich Orton