Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Geisen View Post
Thank you Wingeezer. Shortly after purchasing our used Airstream I decided getting a new AC with thermostat was important. Of course, it wasn't. To make matters worse when JC took out our perfectly working AC they offered to relocate it to our bedroom. I had zero experience with how warm the International got until we started traveling and then wished we had kept it. Anyway, it's not the first time I've made a mistake. So, I guess we have a Penquin II. Perhaps I'll try to reach the manufacturer to find out. I'm guessing Lewster knows but he hasn't responded to this thread. Thanks for your insights. I think you are correct regarding access to the drip tray. Perhaps I need to get back on the roof which I hesitate doing due to my age. -John
Hi John,

If it is anything like the earlier Penguin that I have, I don't think you will see anything of the drip tray from up,onnthe roof unless you pull the whole unit -I tried that.

I think that the only way you will be able to access the underside of the drip tray and possibly repair cracks if there are any will be from inside the trailer.

To do that, I think you may need to to find a way to undo the bolts holding the inside arrangement that pulls the AC down onto the roof so as to remove that inside assembly. I can't help more as ours is totally different than yours -just a simple formed metal plate with three log screws - maybe 8" or longer clamping inside and outside sections all together with the trailer roof as the "meat in the sandwich!" so to speak !

If you can remove the inside assembly, the AC is left sitting loose on to the roof, but it won't go anywhere! You have a pretty decent shot at getting at the underside of the drip tray to then do your best to find and seal any leaks.

I'm afraid if that doesn't do it, you may need to remove the AC from above to reach the drip tray and maybe replace it. (I've not done that - yet)

If I had to go to that extent I think I would be opting for a new AC,
as I also have sporadic control problems with the thermostat on ours!

I can always get it going by fiddling with the connecting wires, but always an annoyance I could do without that distracts fro the joys of RV'ing (well, maybe the challenge is part of the fun!) But it is a real pain that I would like to be rid of!

Anyway, good luck, please let us know how it works out, we can all learn more!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Hi John,

If it is anything like the earlier Penguin that I have, I don't think you will see anything of the drip tray from up,onnthe roof unless you pull the whole unit -I tried that.

I think that the only way you will be able to access the underside of the drip tray and possibly repair cracks if there are any will be from inside the trailer.

To do that, I think you may need to to find a way to undo the bolts holding the inside arrangement that pulls the AC down onto the roof so as to remove that inside assembly. I can't help more as ours is totally different than yours -just a simple formed metal plate with three log screws - maybe 8" or longer clamping inside and outside sections all together with the trailer roof as the "meat in the sandwich!" so to speak !

If you can remove the inside assembly, the AC is left sitting loose on to the roof, but it won't go anywhere! You have a pretty decent shot at getting at the underside of the drip tray to then do your best to find and seal any leaks.

I'm afraid if that doesn't do it, you may need to remove the AC from above to reach the drip tray and maybe replace it. (I've not done that - yet)

If I had to go to that extent I think I would be opting for a new AC,

as I also have sporadic control problems with the thermostat on ours!

I can always get it going by fiddling with the connecting wires, but always an annoyance I could do without that distracts fro the joys of RV'ing (well, maybe the challenge is part of the fun!) But it is a real pain that I would like to be rid of!

Anyway, good luck, please let us know how it works out, we can all learn more!

Wingeezer,

After pretty much giving up on removing the bottom plate, here are some observations and the go forward plan I have in my head.

I noticed the first day after the "flood" that the drain tube attached to the outlet of the drip tray was clear. So, I disconnected drain tube and focused on the drip tray. I took a short piece of metal and stuck it into the drip tray. When I removed it it was moist sand. I spent most of the rest of the day trying to figure out how to access the drip tray knowing I needed to clean it out. After failing to access the drip tray from the roof I decided to hook up a small shop-vac to nipple which exits the drip tray. My plan was to suck out the wet sand. I adapted the shop-vac hose to the drip tray exit nipple using a small hose from an air mattress pump. While I had modest success it was slow going so I started this thread certain that others had dealt with this issue.

Now I'm noticing that the Florida sun is drying out the damp sand. Each day I'm getting a little more sand out. I need to have more patience and work with the sun warming the sand. I start with a clean shop-vac and can see the very gradual progress.

I'm hoping that by tomorrow evening the drip tray will be empty and dry. I will then start the AC once more and watch where the moisture goes (hopefully out the exit tube. Even though I haven't removed the bottom plate I've been able to inspect about 80% of the drip tray and have not found a crack.

If there is any leaking when I test the AC again, I'll be pulling the bottom plate to see where the water is exiting outside of the tube.
-John
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If you have a leaf blower, you might try some high velocity air in that general area to move that sand around. The part of the pan you see from the bottom is a trough that is open on top. You might get enough air moving to blow the sand out of it.

My Excella lives in central Florida about 90% of the time. On that trailer I've had so many problems with mud daubers filling up the drain that I put a screen around the tube, the part hanging under the trailer. I used some window screen folded like a pouch and used a screw clam to fasten it around the tube. Have not had a backup in the last two years since I did that. When you get things flowing you might want to consider doing it too.

I installed a new AC unit two years ago, so I eliminated the drain pan and added the drip cup system.

Is your leak occurring from condensation buildup while the AC unit is running, or is it occurring when it rains?
Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
If you have a leaf blower, you might try some high velocity air in that general area to move that sand around. The part of the pan you see from the bottom is a trough that is open on top. You might get enough air moving to blow the sand out of it.

My Excella lives in central Florida about 90% of the time. On that trailer I've had so many problems with mud daubers filling up the drain that I put a screen around the tube, the part hanging under the trailer. I used some window screen folded like a pouch and used a screw clam to fasten it around the tube. Have not had a backup in the last two years since I did that. When you get things flowing you might want to consider doing it too.

I installed a new AC unit two years ago, so I eliminated the drain pan and added the drip cup system.

Is your leak occurring from condensation buildup while the AC unit is running, or is it occurring when it rains?

Great idea, but if I am successful at blowing the sand out of the drip tray won't it wind up inside the AC and eventually work its way back into the drip tray? I'd rather not have to go back onto the roof if possible. I love the drip cup system but would have to have someone else install it.

My issue is condensation, not rain. It rain last night and everything is dry inside this morning. -John
Old 05-16-2017, 06:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I had a similar problem on my 2014 FC. Both AC drainage lines were unclogged and draining. After much study of the problem, I concluded that condensation was accumulating faster than what the drainage lines could handle. I guess it happens in mid Florida. So I had holes drilled on the pans to drain onto the roof. Problem solved.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Thanks, FCStreamer. It's a good idea if all else fails.

So today, after confirming that I had the drip tray cleaned out I turned on the AC around 11:00AM. It has been running for the last 5+s hours. Condensation has filled the drip tray and coming out the drain hose as it is supposed to do and everything else is dry as it should be. About 30 minutes ago I had the courage to reinstall the air distribution cover. I think I'm out of the woods for now.

I especially want to thank everyone who stuck with me through this with multiple ideas. They were all worth considering and trying -John
Old 05-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Geisen View Post
Thanks, FCStreamer. It's a good idea if all else fails.

So today, after confirming that I had the drip tray cleaned out I turned on the AC around 11:00AM. It has been running for the last 5+s hours. Condensation has filled the drip tray and coming out the drain hose as it is supposed to do and everything else is dry as it should be. About 30 minutes ago I had the courage to reinstall the air distribution cover. I think I'm out of the woods for now.

I especially want to thank everyone who stuck with me through this with multiple ideas. They were all worth considering and trying -John
If you decide to drill holes keep them 1/8" or smaller. The original pan on my Safari had ~1/4" holes that allowed daubers to build nests beneath the AC unit.

Glad you have solved your problem drip, for now ;-)