Old 07-08-2016, 05:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
What troubles me is that the unit drains fine when the AC fan is off. This tells me it's not the drain lines. If something was crimped somewhere, it wouldn't drain at all. The fact that it happens with the fans on leads me to believe there is some sort of pressure caused by the airflow that is interfering with the drain flow.
. . .
Thanks. OK one step at a time . . .

Do your AC units allow you, like in a car, to toggle between "Recirculating" the interior air, and the alternate of bringing in outside air?

Also these are non-ducted AC units, right, not the new ducted models?

Old 07-08-2016, 05:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
A new trap will not prevent air from bubbling back up through the water in the trap, if indeed there is some kind of vacuum being created here.

Also, as mentioned earlier, Airstream trailers do not have such traps and most of the AC systems work fine.

Aside from the difficulty of installing a trap near the unit (and one near the discharge would not do the same job even if a trap might help here IMO), it is simply a Bandaid for a more complex problem, again IMO.

The facts/system in the air handler link are way different, and the volume/height of trap water required to withstand the vacuum makes its applicability to this AS trailer doubtful at best IMO.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
FCStreamer, one experiment you could try is to raise the trailer tongue to see if the drainage resumes alright. On the 20-footer thread someone said this helped his AC drainage. [or maybe lowering? Can't find that post right now.]

Have you removed your lower shroud on the AC and checked for hose clamps the way I pictured, as linked last night?
Old 07-08-2016, 06:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Following....I had issues similar to this on the trip this last weekend. When the air would shut off the drain worked fine. When the air was working the water drained off of both sides of the front end cap.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, based on the fact that these trailers seem to have never been built with a trap, and this drainage problem seems to be so common, there may very well be a cause and effect relationship here.

So, it seems like this should be pretty easy to test. If a guy were to simply plug the end of his condensate tube and then run his AC for a while, and then unplug the condensate tube, a column of water should come gushing out, right? Maybe I'll try it this weekend. Maybe a check valve is all that is needed--something that resists the air suction, but lets the water drain.

Another thing I will try is removing my filters to see if I get a different result in the as-is state. As several others have noted, my trailer didn't always drain like this, so something has changed--could very well be a clogged air filter that is causing more of an air-pull up through the condensate tube.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
A new trap will not prevent air from bubbling back up through the water in the trap, if indeed there is some kind of vacuum being created here.

<snip>

The facts/system in the air handler link are way different, and the volume/height of trap water required to withstand the vacuum makes its applicability to this AS trailer doubtful at best IMO.
In fact, three inches of water column would be a very high pressure for a fan. The purpose of the trap is exactly that - to prevent air from bubbling back through the water and diisrupting the flow. A trap at the bottom of the tube will work just as well and will be more convenient to access, drain, and clean.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 07-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FCStreamer, one experiment you could try is to raise the trailer tongue to see if the drainage resumes alright. On the 20-footer thread someone said this helped his AC drainage. [or maybe lowering? Can't find that post right now.]

Have you removed your lower shroud on the AC and checked for hose clamps the way I pictured, as linked last night?
Peter, I was thinking about this yesterday re Steve's challenges and located it as a refresher.

It's post #908

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1793562

Bob
Old 07-08-2016, 12:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
In fact, three inches of water column would be a very high pressure for a fan. The purpose of the trap is exactly that - to prevent air from bubbling back through the water and diisrupting the flow. A trap at the bottom of the tube will work just as well and will be more convenient to access, drain, and clean.
. . .
Then why do the vast majority of Airstreams' A/C systems work fine without a trap? There is another cause here IMO, which a trap may just mask, rather than solve IMO.

I would bet that a partially crimped drain tube is part of the problem, but almost impossible to find.

Have you looked at the photo I referred to adding a hose clamp to the drain tube in my AC?

Could there also be a missing hose clamp here, which causes a leak only under certain conditions?
Old 07-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Peter, I was thinking about this yesterday re Steve's challenges and located it as a refresher.

It's post #908

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1793562

Bob
Thanks Bob, that's it -- teagues's post. Just back from Hither Hills, and getting caught up . . . bungee photos over the weekend.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Peter, I was thinking about this yesterday after seeing Steve's (Centennialman) post. Slight nose up attitude, but wanted to confirm my senior memory.

Steve or others, I's buried in the thread somewhere but just a heads up if you pull the interior cover. Pull the 8 (?) screws...then locate the tabs in the rear...look thru the grate, they are very easy to miss. Rear tabs to me indicates it will swing down forward. Heads up, it (the other end) will drop like a rock. I had to repair the broken air closer at the forward end
also when you re-screw, I found that a magnetic tip Phillips screwdriver was very useful. I also dropped my clamp and ti slipped in the direction of the hose....badzo!!! when putting it on and had to fish it out with a mag tipped fisher-outer.

The clamp was added and I also slipped all hose connection further up the barbs.

When I finished and looked up at the now reinstalled/repaired cover, I thought, It was good to have this part of the project behind me...hmmm, it's beer-thirty I see.

I didn't test in on the Orcas Is. trip, so will continue to monitor this thread. I still need to research, ck out the link and think about the trap....I'm not convinced but at least am open to the idea.

Bob
Old 07-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #25
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I think part of my problem is the 90% humidity environment I am running these ACs in. It is crazy hot and humid. I think part of the problem is not being able to keep up.

So I decided for a much simpler solution. I had a hole drilled in the side so now if the water reaches the top of the area containing it, it will spill onto the roof of the AS and not inside.

Simple.

Yes, all sorts of other issues with water dripping down the side of my AS. But at least I sleep dry and can leave the AC on all night.

As far as I am concerned, problem solved.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Quote:
Peter, I was thinking about this yesterday after seeing Steve's (Centennialman) post. Slight nose up attitude, but wanted to confirm my senior memory.

Steve or others, I's buried in the thread somewhere but just a heads up if you pull the interior cover. Pull the 8 (?) screws...then locate the tabs in the rear...look thru the grate, they are very easy to miss. Rear tabs to me indicates it will swing down forward. Heads up, it (the other end) will drop like a rock. I had to repair the broken air closer at the forward end
also when you re-screw, I found that a magnetic tip Phillips screwdriver was very useful. I also dropped my clamp and ti slipped in the direction of the hose....badzo!!! when putting it on and had to fish it out with a mag tipped fisher-outer.

The clamp was added and I also slipped all hose connection further up the barbs.

When I finished and looked up at the now reinstalled/repaired cover, I thought, It was good to have this part of the project behind me...hmmm, it's beer-thirty I see.

I didn't test in on the Orcas Is. trip, so will continue to monitor this thread. I still need to research, ck out the link and think about the trap....I'm not convinced but at least am open to the idea.

Bob
Thanks Bob....I have the ducted air and the only thing on the interior of the Airstream are the two return air ducts with covers over them, flush with the ceiling. I took them off and can't see much up there. The next time I go out I will try the nose up method and see if anything changes. If not will think about removing the AC cover and taking a look from above.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
Not that this is the answer but in commercial units, a restricted return will cause this to happen. Many cases it is a clogged filter. It may be something to look for.....restricted return.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . buried in the thread somewhere but just a heads up if you pull the interior cover. Pull the 8 (?) screws...then locate the tabs in the rear...look thru the grate, they are very easy to miss. Rear tabs to me indicates it will swing down forward. Heads up, it (the other end) will drop like a rock. I had to repair the broken air closer at the forward end
. . .
My Posts 918 and 922 in the 20-footer thread caution about stripped screws, hidden tabs, etc. in the removal of the lower shroud/cover of the A/C.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...rs-127845.html