Old 06-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami , Florida
AC Decision

WE have to decide on what AC to buy. Would like 15,000BTU. Have been told that they are all loud. My wife likes the AC/heat pump combo. Price not a deciding factor. Looking for ideas, thoughts and opinions in this forum. Thank you for your responses

Old 06-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
LOL... Same question here.
I just figured out I have 16inchs minimum between my roof and top of garage so, so a low-profile isn't needed...
I like the weight, looks and price of the 15k Dometic Duo-Therm Brisk Air II .
I HATE the look of the Atwwood 18k, price is more, weight is more but Atwood claims it cools the best.
I LOVE the low profiles, but pricey and MANY owners claim they are louder than anything regular heights.
My BIGGEST concern, rigging up a drainage system. I already have the provisions setup, but how to actually get the water before it drains onto the roof is the question.
Hoping once I have the unit, I will be able to wing some kind of "tray(s)" to catch the water.
Hoping you get some good insight...
:-)

Old 06-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I have a low profile Coleman Mach 8, self-installed. I have the 9200 cub model, so you're looking for a much larger unit than mine. I saw lots of complaints about noise outside the coach, but I think those were mostly due to a previous fan design. The noise my AC makes us a reasonable hum.

I like the drainage setup. There is a condensate pump which directs condensate to the drain tube when the compressor is running. It routes the tube through the return air, not through the gasket, so there's no gasket modification needed like with the penguin. The amount of work I had to do to fix damage from leaks makes me wary of doing anything to compromise the seal on the roof, so not having to penetrate that seal for the drain tube was a big plus for me.

I did have to deal with the curved roof/flat AC issue both inside and out. I had the interior skin out so it was a little easier for me than if I didn't.

My thermostat broke after a single use. Email support to Airxcel was worthless. No response to repeated messages. However, phone support was fantastic. I had a short conversation with a technician, and he sent me out a new thermostat and selector switch right away. I've been very happy with the performance of my AC since.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
The Greatleys,

Tagging on to this thread to ask how well the Cub (9200 btu) cools your 27 ft. I like the drain arrangement and the fact that you can run the unit with a 2000W generator. We've got a 68 Overlander (called a 26' but actually 27'). Have you used your rig in the 90 degree heat? I'd like to go with one of the 13k power savers, but they don't seem to have the condensate drainage capability.

Thanks in advance for your experience,

Roy
Old 07-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I'll let you know. We're on our maiden voyage this week and haven't encountered anything above mid 80s so far on our trip. This week is forecasted to be in the mid to high 90s, and we are parked in direct sunlight.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
What about the Brisk Air models of Dometic? My Penguin cools great with a 25' and 11K BTU but after hearing a new Penguin run I would shop around too if looking starting with the redesign by Dometic.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:14 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
TheGreatleys,

Thanks, I look forward to your field tested results. Have a great week.

rodsterinfl,

Thanks, I'll take a close look at the Dometics. Can you run your 11kBTU on a 2000w generator?

Roy
Old 07-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Roy- Set the AC to max for science. 94 today, but cloudy so no real direct sun. 75 in the coach according to the temperature on the CO detector. Felt colder than 75 but that's probably because the fan moves the air pretty good around the coach. Wife complained it was freezing, so experiment over for now. Probably should note that I don't have much in the way of interior walls, and my insulation is not standard. Not sure if that makes any difference. I definitely have the loudest AC in the park, but not by much.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
AC Decision

I have a 2400isHC Yamaha and it runs well on it. The 11,000 BTU requires around 12.3 amps if I remember. I recently replaced the start capacitor as it was OEM and supposedly those things get old BUT what I found interesting is that dometic calls for a more powerful replacement part. I confirmed this. Now it starts quieter and without that loud 2-3 second electrical hum I had before.

@The Greatleys. Cool sounds good! Mine too is cold. AC is a mixed bag of humidity and temperature combined. I have one of those clocks with Relative Humidity and Temp on it and it is great for the AS. I can really tell what is going on. I also have a Radio Shack Humidity Gauge from years ago. I used them to check it. My unit really pulls out the moisture. Once it pulls it to around 70% RH and 80 degrees it starts feeling cool. Sounds awful I know but it gets better. When it gets the humidity down to around 35% it is freezing no matter what the temp shows. One thing I have learned about my unit is that during high humidity I have to keep it on high or it will freeze up. I believe this is due to limited air flow. The new Breeze units have more airflow which MAY help. I dunno. Like I have shared before about RV ac. I believe more than duct work, someone needs to redesign RV ac. Consider those portable AC units so quiet in Costco and Sams and half the price too!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:42 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Denton , Texas
Installed the Brisk 15k this morning and noise level is fine
Old 07-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
We just installed a 13500 btu Coleman in our 24' Tradewind. While the removal of the old unit was brutal the install of the new unit went fairly smoothly. We also got the heat coils and the two small pan drain system. I was in the trailer working today in 85 degree weather using the ac. It felt very comfy despite the fact that there are numerous air leaks. Also even on high cool the noise was not obnoxious and we do not have the interior cover mounted yet. So far so good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	266321  
Old 07-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Which units are quiet? How quiet is quiet? Can you get quiet without going to a system that distributes the air with ducts?

Thanks for starting this thread. A better AC system has got to be a good RV objective. We appreciate the input from folks who have invested their time and effort to find and implement a good solution. Thank you for your posts.

Travel Safe. Pat
Old 07-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
The Dometic Blizzard NXT discussed in recent posts on the following thread sounds interesting. Does anyone know anything about this new design? It comes in both 13.5k and 15k units with a heat pump optional.

Thanks,

Peter

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...gh-153462.html

http://www.dometic.com/USA/New-Produ.../blizzard-nxt/
http://www.dometic.com/QBankFiles3/E...-Web_32008.pdf
Old 07-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
I also appreciate Dave rem starting this thread. I'm learning a lot from the discussion and Q&A.

I used one of those portable units last weekend (8000BTU). At 90F outside, the AC could not adequately cool the entire coach. Our design allows us to close off the twin bed section. The 8k cooled that small section comfortably, although as stated it was a combination of lower temp and humidity. The temp was about 80F.

TheGreatleys,

Please thank your wife for allowing your science experiment.

rodsterinfl,

Thanks for the power info. I actually use a Ryobi 2200w generator, so it (12.3 amps) may be fine. How does the Dometic handle the condensate?

I'm thinking maybe I'll install a Cub, so I can cool using a the Generator, and when going somewhere that may be hot and humid, carry the portable as backup cooling. (Assuming electric service is available). We'll probably need noise canceling headphones if we're running both, though. Still contemplating...

Thanks for the input.

Roy