Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Firefly

2008 16' Bambi
St Petersburg , Florida
Question AC/DC DWR Earsplitting Bambi Blues

Hello all!

This is my first post here on the forum and so please forgive any lack of proper etiquette or protocol with the following -- I'm a quick learn tho so feel free to slap my hands if I am asking too much too soon!

After many years of drooling over the prospect of owning an Airstream, in particular the DWR 16, I finally found one and pulled the trigger.

Then immediately proceded to "pimp" it out with all the necessary camping gear; Bluray, DVD, Apple TV, Sirius, Bluetooth, WiFi, amplifier, speakers, tweeters and woofer.

My understanding is that these audio visual components deter raccoons, coyotes and grizzly bears from the camp site and thus protect us from wild animal attacks. So, these are solely installed for safety and security.

I passed on that understanding to the significant other and so of course she supports this additional investment 100% (that's the story and I'm sticking to it -- contrary opinions about audio-visual animal deterrents are not being solicited herein as the significant other might view this thread but thank you anyway).

Meanwhile, here's the rub ... we live in Florida, the AC is always on, the AC has been serviced and is working properly, but the AC unit is still so loud that we have to pump up the volume well above nose-bleed level. And that gets a little messy in such a small space. Plus, reading those captions is giving me migraines.

So, we are prepared to make yet another necessary investment in a new AC unit provided we can find one that is super-efficient, powerful, and very quiet.

We'd also need someone to install the unit properly and professionally as I was not blessed with even a single McGyver gene. It took me an hour and a half just to figure out how to rig the awning on this Bambi and set up two folding chairs, one of which collapsed under my plump behind because apparently one needs to fully extend the legs prior to placement of said behind.

Any suggestions on such a unit?

Thanks very much!

Brad

P.S. Oh, I have so many more questions about batteries, chargers, solar and would also love to have someone explain to me how in the world a fridge can cool itself with propane... but first I have to think of the safety and security of my family.

"Be the water, not the rock."
wendkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Welcome to the forum.

Hi, I think the only option for your situation is to have and use headphones. We don't like being too hot and yes, the air conditioner does make quite a bit of noise.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I can tell you one NOT to get.....Dometic Penguin Low Profile. My daughter had one in her Minuet & it was really loud both inside & outside.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
IMHO, there is no sweter sound than that of an AC unit on a hot day,
Old 08-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
It's going to be a challenge to find an AC that's quiet for a Bambi. I have speakers in the front and rear, and can fade them accordingly. After the AC cools the trailer down, I put the AC fan on 'low'. It seems to be better to have the steady low roar than when the fan is on 'auto', where the fan is going on and off. Other than that, in the interest of domestic tranquility, I have a set of wireless headphones. But, then I can't hear the wild animals outside.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Our AC is also very loud. Our solution was a Blue Tooth remote speaker that we place directly behind us.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger View Post
It's going to be a challenge to find an AC that's quiet for a Bambi. I have speakers in the front and rear, and can fade them accordingly. After the AC cools the trailer down, I put the AC fan on 'low'. It seems to be better to have the steady low roar than when the fan is on 'auto', where the fan is going on and off. Other than that, in the interest of domestic tranquility, I have a set of wireless headphones. But, then I can't hear the wild animals outside.
This Works!! My ears are gone, so it didn't bother me as much but the AC coming on and off would keep my husband up all nite. We tried leaving it on low instead of auto on our last camping trip- I think the brain just learns to tune it out if it is constant. Made a world of difference.
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote