Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2005, 09:03 AM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto
desi arnaz wrote:
> coul be you just need a new a/c unit?

Any idea if the above is true, and if so, what's a good place to get a Coleman AC unit? Is it possible to find a used one?
You can get a used one, but you will be getting the same troubles you have now, without the benefit of a warranty. It is better to get a new one, if you can afford it. As far as a "deal", just check the net for specials, our friends at Camping World are letting them go pretty reasonably right now.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:05 AM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I had the same thought actually.
But what if I add the freon and it leaks out then it is a waste of money. I had that happen to a fridge.
It is a sealed system. If freon leaks out, it means there is a leak, and the replacement freon will leak out as well, unless you fix the problem first.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

they can check for leaks with a sniffer before going so far as filling her up. i would have her changed over anyway....
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:20 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

So how do I dermine if I just need freon or the compressor is not working?

I had an electrical/AC guy look at it. He said that the compressor is cycling between on and off and that's what burned out the breaker. Late last night was the first time I was able to run the AC after replacing the breaker, and indeed, holding my hand to it some minutes it was cold, others, just air. Also I could hear different tones from it.

Well, he said that there is a 50/50 chance it will recover from it or die completely and I should know very shortly, and the latter is what seems to happen. I turned it on this morning and it's just air, not even intervals of cool.

Any advice on how to proceed, what's a good place to get these Colman units, are used ones a possibiliy or not worth messing with. I found one place that has them for $375 13.5K BTU.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:21 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

overlander63 wrote:

> You can get a used one, but you will be getting the same troubles you have now, without the benefit of a warranty. It is better to get a new one, if you can afford it.

That makes sense.. I will go with a new unit, most cost-effective. Just need to find one.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:24 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...onditioner.htm
Old 07-17-2005, 10:08 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

would the above 13.5K BTU unit work in my 86 excella?
Old 07-17-2005, 10:26 AM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
would the above 13.5K BTU unit work in my 86 excella?
It will, but may be inadequate for very hot days. A 15K would be better. Our 26' has a 13K Coleman, and in the sun, on warm days, it doesn't keep the trailer comfortable.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:48 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

thank you, overlander63.

I think any working AC will be a vast improvement over what I have now.
I wonder if the aluminum skin absorbs, or rather retains more heat than other type of skins. (But I like it anyway)

I'll keep updated on developments...
Old 07-17-2005, 02:48 PM   #30
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
I think adequacy is an objective thing when it comes to A/C sizing. I've been happy with the 12.5 K BTU Armstrong in the 31. Fortunately, it's still going strong. I put a Carrier 5 15 K in the 28, and it's got a BIG margin over the 12.5. Still, I'm happy with the thought that a 15 to 20 degree temp difference over outside is what I'm satisfied with, and with care, this Armstrong will still be running when the Carrier is disposed with.

(I also think that having awnings on three sides and a rock guard up front contributes a lot to cooling. My Argosy does not have any of those.)

Lamar
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:27 PM   #31
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
I think adequacy is an objective thing when it comes to A/C sizing. I've been happy with the 12.5 K BTU Armstrong in the 31. Fortunately, it's still going strong. I put a Carrier 5 15 K in the 28, and it's got a BIG margin over the 12.5. Still, I'm happy with the thought that a 15 to 20 degree temp difference over outside is what I'm satisfied with, and with care, this Armstrong will still be running when the Carrier is disposed with.

(I also think that having awnings on three sides and a rock guard up front contributes a lot to cooling. My Argosy does not have any of those.)

Lamar
For whatever reason, probably better design, the Armstrong A/C seems to cool better at 12.5, than most other units do with 13.5, or even 15k.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Spicewood , Texas
The lucky ones

Thiss is a great site! New here and my first post. I've been unable to find some of what i'm looking for but this may help.

I just reserected a 1975 Argosy 28 from an Aspen glade in Colorado and returned home to Texas after packing bearings and buying new tires, plugged it in to shore power to find the A/C blew air but not cold. Frige did not cool on Elec either. Water and LPG to be tackled later.

I asked an HVAC friend over and we pulled the "squirrel cage" apart (20+ poprivets, is that normal?) to find it still held factory charge of R-22. We CHANGED AWG in extention cords, went below to the thermostat switch and jumped it. There she blows, 50+ degree air. Did you check the thermostat? (the one with the temp lead coming out the back side). I have been fortunate with this salvage. After getting the roof back together and finding a new Ranco switch, I'll be onto the frige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
desi arnaz wrote:
> coul be you just need a new a/c unit?

That's it.... I replaced the breaker, which was the problem, as it turns out and the AC does not cut off anymore.

However, I think the compressor is going out. It's just blowing air which isn't cold. I think this is the original, 20 year old unit, so I suppose it did good, considering there is only a 2 year warranty on these Colman units.

Any idea if the above is true, and if so, what's a good place to get a Colman AC unit? Is it possible to find a used one?