Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
grenada , Mississippi
Ac

anyone know a quick fix for my 92 350 le.would like for both ac's to work at the same time while plugged to 30 amps.
thanks
jerry 22 over par
jerry220ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Jerry, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you're gonna have to post some additional details about what your talking about for folks to be able to help. You have nothing in your profile that would also suggest what you have.......

You talking motorhome? What kind?
What is the dash A/C not doing (if that's what we're talking about)...somewhat cold, totally dead, just blows hot air, etc?

The devil is in the details.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
_

. , .
hi jerry and welcome to airforum'n

twink....i think he has 3 a/cs counting the dash unit....

my mo ho only had one roof air.....

seems that in the moho threads this has been discussed....you need more than 30 amps to have both roof ac on at the same time...

seems i recall some solutions are set up as 50 amp while other are 2 separate outlets...a 30 and a 20 just for the rear ac unit...and only the front is wired into genset?

read some of the old moho threads.....

or you will have to wait for the moho heads to jump it...they are all busy trying to figure out that hole in the dash!

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
It was a while back. but I remember one of the rv sites had a relay, or something similar that would let you run 2 ac;s at the same time. It would allow only one compressor to start at a time.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Harvest , Alabama
You have to turn the generator on and flip the switch above the sink to the front unit. The generator will provide power to the back unit directly so the switch needs to be on the front unit. There is a relay that should trip in less than a minute and both units should be getting power.
dssauburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

wasco , Oregon
HELLO JERRY---Motorhome head here!

I think that if you look in your manual, you will find that the 30 amp shore power will provide enough juice for one AC only. That is the way they come from the factory (assuming that your moho is similar to mine). You should find a switch that will allow you to select the front OR rear AC, but not both at the same time. According to my books, the only way to run both ACS', is to run them with your genset and that is the way mine works.......Anything beyond that would require modification!!!

Hope this helps---Bob
Old 09-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry220ver
anyone know a quick fix for my 92 350 le.would like for both ac's to work at the same time while plugged to 30 amps.
thanks
jerry 22 over par
Hi Jerry,

As said previously, there are 2 ways to run both roof units while on 30 amp shore power. One is to run one on shore and the other on generator (if your coach is wired for this) in essence providing more than 30 amps to run both simultaneously and the other is to re-wire your coach for 50 amps. A straight 30 amp connection is insufficient to power both roof A/C units at the same time.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
50 amp for 2 aircond

Here is what I did to run 50amp RV hook up to 30 amp RV and not worry about the GFCI tripping

Made a 50 amp male pig tail wired into a "2 slot breaker" breaker box (3ft long, 8 gage).
L1 (one side black wire) to right side main in on breaker box.
L2 (other side red wire) to left side main in on breaker box.
Neutral to Neutral buss and Ground to ground buss.

I made up 2 female pig tails one with a 30 amp RV plug 2 ft long (10 gage).
One with a standard 120 VAC household outlet 2 ft long (12 gage).
The RV female pig tail was wired to the 30 amp breaker.
The household outlet wired to the 20 amp breaker.
Both 20 amp & 30 amp pig tails neutral & ground wires to breaker box neutral & ground buss.

What I now have is a 50 amp RV plug with 2 outlets each on their own breaker.

In the generator compartment I followed the wire from the 20 amp breaker on the generator to the junction box and disconnected the wire at the breaker. I then installed a 20 amp female plug on the wire I just disconnected.(On my RV this wire goes directly to the rear AC by passing the transfer switch).
At the generator I ran a wire from the 20 amp breaker into a 120 VAC outlet I mounted on the wall in the generator compartment.

What I now have is the generator feeding 120 vac to a standard household outlet protected by the 20 amp generator breaker.

On generator power I just plug the rear AC (now on a standard male plug) into the 120vac outlet I installed in the generator compartment and run 2 air conditioners when running off the generator.

At the campground if I want to run 2 AC’s I plug my 50 amp plug to the CG 50 amp pedestal
Plug my RV 30 amp plug into the 30 amp pigtail outlet and run a drop cord from the 120vac pigtail back to the generator compartment and plug the rear AC into the drop cord.
I haven't had a chance to test it yet so proceed at your own risk.

If you are not comfortable working with electric stuff this is not a project for you. There are similar devices for sale at camper stores.

Garry

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50 amp.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	25611  
garry is offline   Reply With Quote