Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
A Fireplace in an Airstream!

Well, why NOT a fireplace??

OK – OK I’m obsessing a little bit now but I’ve just ordered my ‘Dream Machine’ – a 2006 28’ Classic, http://www.airforums.com/forum...ase-20444.html, and now I’m trying to think how to improve on perfection. There’s no room for a hot tub but how about a fireplace? Having been raised in Buffalo, I vowed that I'd never be cold again. Most of our trips have been south but there’s a trip to New England planned for this spring. What if we get snowed in on top of Mt. Washington!!!

WELL...to answer my own question, ( not the snowed in question - the fireplace question ) I immediately surfed the forum ( thanks Malconium) for a thread that led to a thread, etc. which finally led to Dickerson Marine up there in the way-far-north Canada ( www.dickersonmarine.com )

They sell a beautiful little fireplace called the Newport Propane Fireplace made for the yachting world. It really looks like it was designed specifially for the AS Land Yachting world with it’s clean stainless lines.

Name:   heaters-newportP.jpeg
Views: 5794
Size:  10.2 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	heater-10.jpeg
Views:	3191
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	17940

OK everyone. What’s the Airstream phone number for the RRD – ( Ridiculous Request Department, of course ). It seems quite easy to cut a 3" hole in the roof while you’re building the roof, eh! Does Airstream take custom requests? We could have the hottest ( pun intended ) new option of the century!!!

Instead of mounting that tiny little triangular ‘desk’ on the microwave cabinet next to the credenza, how about mounting a 14"H x 8.5"W x 6.5"D fully vented fireplace. This thing even brings in it's own outside air, eliminating the oxygen depletion and moisture problems of catalytic heaters. Run a propane line from the fridge, run a 12v line from the wall and voila, instant fireplace!!

Comments, suggestions, experiences, please. Who do I call?????

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A couple of years ago, I spoke to Dickie Riegel about custom stuff, and hos answer at that time was they would do anything possible, with a $250 change order, plus the cost of the parts and labor. It sounded reasonable. Give 'em a call and see it they still will do it.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
_

. , .
hi bob and others

the special order/mod request fee is now 500$ plus parts/labor.......

as for the fire place......been there done that......airstream made classics with a fireplace option in 2000/2001 as i recall. 34s...sofa was in slide and fireplace up front center. i think the fp was electric.

the floorplan layout archives may show these and photos are out there....i don't know anyone who purchased this model. pic below also shows the overhead tv above the fp....

not sure if you're after bling or another heat source.....if the latter.....consider any of the platinum/catalytic heaters available. they are nice. i added one to my as moho....years ago it worked great....no exhaust vent needed but you do need to let fresh air in somewhere or all the o2 for breathing will get used....

cheers
2air'

oh yea, someone has already done a hot tub inside too....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fireplace model.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	17941  
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
That would be http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/

when I could not get there from you link I almost panicked

We are testing that little Buddy Heater from Camping World this trip - if it does not cut it we are driving straight through to avoid the cold -but that fireplace would be just the ticket for our future fall and early spring camping trips
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Don't laugh, a forum member has a small hot tub in their vintage Airstream!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
On those 2000/2001 models that had the front fireplace. You would think that it would burn wood with all the space it looks like it used up. I wonder if anyone ever converted one?
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
I saw one of these in action at my first official Airstream campout this summer. It was installed in a vintage trailer on the cabinet next to the door, and the flue exited straight up through the roof. It was très cool! It had a blower that could be turned on if you wanted, or you could run in low energy mode and just have the propane flame and flicker through the window.

For those that really want to go off the grid, how about getting the Newport Solid Fuel Heater?. It has no blower, but it does put out up to 8000 BTU of heat from hardwood or briquette.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:39 PM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I read about one of the celebrities that had a 34' custom job used as a dressing room/between shooting rest areas that had a fireplace in it. I just don't remember his name. He donated it to charity for auction.

There is a 34' limited for sale with a fireplace @ http://www.rvsearch.com/findrv/index...60/vid-151191/

Another @
http://iowaboys.com/restore/2000as/2...tream_34ft.htm
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Carlos has the answer!

This is a way cool thread all by itself, but have y'all seen Carlos' answer to this problem? Take a look see: http://www.airforums.com/forum...i-15592-8.html

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Crack a window.............

About eight people die each year of asphyxiation, as a result of unsafe use
of heaters in campers.
I forget if I read it here or there but a marine outfitter sells a wood burning
stove for boats. I don't know how safe it would be but I bet it could come in handy in wooded campspots.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Yeah, the one I posted above burns wood. But I think you are thinking of the cast iron stove for sail boats (I can't find that thread either). This solution would be a lot smaller, a lot lighter and less space hungry.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Patti Raimondon has the fireplace installed in her '53 Flying Cloud. She likes it and it is a solid performer, vented to the outside too. However, the exterior of the 'chimney' does get hot and can blister your hand. There is no reason the chimney could not be enclosed though.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Bob, Thanks for adding to my ever growing list of things I absolutely GOTTA have for the A/S. Really looks like a great product. Kev
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Forrest, thanks, that was the trailer and owner I was speaking of!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:21 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Tom Patterson – you are my hero. It appears that you have installed a Newport Fireplace in your AS. Please join the discussion posted as “Fireplace in an Airstream”! From the pic that 65GT attached to the above mentioned thread, you seem to have been the pioneer of the installation of this design. Tell us the entire history of this modification – how good, how bad, how ugly??? Can anyone take a 3” stovepipe up through the AS roof or did it take special skills? Is this a potential future AS feature?? Do you constantly burn your leg as you enter your AS or is there enough clearance with the fireplace mounted beside the door? Does it really heat your space, even if you do not run the fan? Will the vent cap blow off while you’re bookin’ on down the highway? America wants to know!!!

Personally, I am a little afraid of the Olympic catalytic heater solution for boondocking. Aside from the interior condensation problem that results from an unvented heater, I find it a little unnerving ( and rather counter productive ) to have to leave a window open to supply combustion oxygen ( and BREATHING OXYGEN ) while the heater is operating. What if I forget??? Do I wake up dead!!!

The beauty of the Newport design, aside from the beauty of the visible ‘crackling’ flame, is that the Newport is designed to bring fresh outside air down the chimney while exhausting smoke and noxious gases back out. This also cools the stack as it goes through the roof. This is the way a modern, high-efficiency house furnace works. Rather than burn up interior heated air in the flame, a modern furnace brings in it’s own outside air. Ergo, more heat and less danger inside the house or inside the AS.

Overlander63, do you think I can talk the factory into using me as a test subject, a lab rat if you will, for this new feature. I’d be happy to hit the road extolling the coziness of a factory installed fireplace in return for, say, free installation???? Sound entirely reasonable to me. Otherwise, I may just get out the tin snips and start whacking away on my new roof!!

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Margaret Lee Runbeck

Old 01-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBHASTINGS
Tom Patterson – you are my hero. It appears that you have installed a Newport Fireplace in your AS. Please join the discussion posted as “Fireplace in an Airstream”! From the pic that 65GT attached to the above mentioned thread, you seem to have been the pioneer of the installation of this design. Tell us the entire history of this modification – how good, how bad, how ugly??? Can anyone take a 3” stovepipe up through the AS roof or did it take special skills? Is this a potential future AS feature?? Do you constantly burn your leg as you enter your AS or is there enough clearance with the fireplace mounted beside the door? Does it really heat your space, even if you do not run the fan? Will the vent cap blow off while you’re bookin’ on down the highway? America wants to know!!!
The Airstream with the fireplace photograghed is not owned by Tom Patterson, the photo is just hosted on his website. The owner is Patti Raimondo, who is a member of this forum, albeit not super active. She will reply to PM's and loves to share her experience with the restoration of her '54-55' Flying Cloud. She is a member of the Denver Unit of the WBCCI and I have been in her trailer many times...the flue does get hot...but like Forrest said, it could be enclosed with a shroud to protect visitors who aren't aware.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:22 PM   #17
Craftsman

Here's a picture of a very nice small wood buring stove in an Airstream. Very cool.Try www.marinestove.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bluecod_stainedglassdoor.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	17956  
Old 01-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Here is the pointer for cast iron marine stoves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
Yeah, the one I posted above burns wood. But I think you are thinking of the cast iron stove for sail boats (I can't find that thread either). This solution would be a lot smaller, a lot lighter and less space hungry.
The following site has cast iron marine stoves. They have a model that is about a 12" cube.

http://www.marinestove.com/index.htm

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
That's what I was talking about. A real fireplace.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:29 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Shari,

Thanks for the info. I have PMed Patti to ask a bunch of questions and asked her to join this thread to share her experience with everyone.

On a side note, I was able to PM Patti because her Username is the same as her Real name as is mine. But how on earth would I have found her in the member's list if she had a different user name. You all seem to know each other quite well but I am a relative newcomer. I don't know how to do a proper search of member's names.

Also, once I found her, I had the choice of an email or a private message. What's the diff and did I pick the wrong method??

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Margaret Lee Runbeck