Old 02-14-2006, 09:01 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
malden , Massachusetts
I've been installing some heating units for a while and there are many ways of making up combustion air and MAKE SURE you use one . One that is automatic.......lots of units now come with a heated exaust air out and combustion air in. In one pipe , all it takes is one mistake best of luck in the future.....Rod

Old 02-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Fireplacers,

I have had a stove from marinestove.com in my trailer now for about a month - I am quite happy with it. I plan to run a vent line directly from the outside to the "mouth" of the stove for combustion air. Right now I have no weather stripping on my door and so get plenty of air without a window open.

The vent line will be 3" or 4" flexible dryer venting and come from the inside of the wheel well to just below the stove - in this way I can avoid a hole that is visible on the outside. I think I will put a "butterfly" vent cap on the outside so that it can be closed if I ever feel like it, but I imagine I will always have it open as I have no air conditioning and all the air I can get will be good in the summer.

As for heat, I started with the "sardine" model at marinestove.com and found it would heat my space quite well, but I wanted a little longer burn time between stokings, so Andrew let me try out a "Little Cod" to see if I liked it better, then he let me send back the "Sardine" for a full refund. The cod puts out plenty of heat. I camped last weekend in near 0 degree weather and easily kept the interior around 100 degrees... what luxury, it was like a sauna!

I do think there are safety issues to consider... I am careful to shut things down when I leave my trailer and the stove has a sort of built in safety feature in that it burns for 3-4 hours between stokings max, so I fall asleep in warmth and then the fire is out a couple hours later, I start a new one in the morning. This might not be the kind of "luxury" some people see as luxury, but I love it!

I think the added vent to directly below the stove (of any kind) will be a good addition. I don't much like having a window open as the cold air is drawn across the room to the stove - with the vent the air will be sucked directly from the outside to the air intake (I hope) much like the direct vent heaters from dickenson.

My installation is partly complete in the picture below

Carlos Ferguson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	18471  

Old 03-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Cool Airstream Fireplace

The weather is finally cooperating, so I got the job done. It's in there and it's burning! I put the hole in the roof yesterday, added the vent and chimney to the Dickinson Fireplace, then hooked it up to LPG today and fired it up. Looks just as good as all the other pix I've seen, and the heat is substantial.
Attached Images

Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:35 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
That looks great!

Does the fireplace have a fan to distribute the heat?

Dennis
Old 03-30-2006, 01:54 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
OK, so how much of a chore is the ash hauling?
Old 03-30-2006, 07:14 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Way Too Cool....

WREPETE,

That is a really nice setup. I will keep that idea in mind when I redo the inside of my AS.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:11 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Bud,

Nice job!! What a great option for an Airstream (is the Factory listening????)

I can't wait to install one in mine - no muss, no fuss, - no ashes!! UNFORTUNATELY, my new 28' Classic is still being built! I went to Jackson Center to see it under construction last Thursday ( only an hour's drive from Cincinnati). It was due to ship this Monday, 03-27-06, but the dealer called and it's not ready. When I saw it, it was ABOUT 100' FROM THE DOOR!! One good shove and it would have been out and on it's way to Cinn. I guess they ran out something at the last minute, a tire, a stoplight, a couch, something non-essential. Oh well!!

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrepete
The weather is finally cooperating, so I got the job done. It's in there and it's burning! I put the hole in the roof yesterday, added the vent and chimney to the Dickinson Fireplace, then hooked it up to LPG today and fired it up. Looks just as good as all the other pix I've seen, and the heat is substantial.
Where can you find that unit?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:12 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Cool I really like IT.

Had to go out and get some more LPG this morning so I could watch it burn awhile. Hard to stop and get to some of the summer preparations.

Dennis: There is a small circulating fan which moves some of the heat to the floor for a little extra efficiency. Very quiet, but not especially powerful, and it works.

Summerkid: If there are any ashes they must be going out the chimney, which suits me just fine.

Clancy Boy: The Dickinson is the kind of quality that enhances the AS image, and I think the size is perfect. Won't have to crank up that gas burning forced air furnace much anymore.

Bob: I had plenty of snowy and cold days to wander out to the AS, measure and remeasure. . . . plan and consider. . . . and the job turned out to be pretty straight forward. Also plenty of time to order rivets and sealers, get the information I needed; and so when the warm days finally arrived the process went smoothly, considering the one doing the work. I thought my infrequent utterances and mumblings were pretty low key, most of the time. Now, have fun with yours!!

DocBear: I purchased mine from www.boatownersworld.com after shopping around. Talked to them a couple of times on the phone, and they were very helpful and considerate. . . a very favorable price. . . So I don't hesitate to recommend them.

I have a number of additional photos that I can process and post when I get a little extra time. I'm also really thankful for all the good information that can be searched out on this great forum. . . and the motivation that comes from seeing the posts by such members as uwe and jcferguson. . . and numerous others.
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
Old 03-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
A couple of years ago, I spoke to Dickie Riegel about custom stuff, and hos answer at that time was they would do anything possible, with a $250 change order, plus the cost of the parts and labor. It sounded reasonable. Give 'em a call and see it they still will do it.
Actually, you get charged everytime the trailer is pulled off the production line. I know because the previous owner of my 2002 Bambi had two custom things done to the trailer when he special ordered it. It was pulled off the production line twice at the tune of $200 each time, not including the parts and labor or course! The $200 price must be what they charged for this back in 2001.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:07 PM   #39

1972 29' Ambassador
Mocksville , North Carolina
I'm not sure if this would be an option for you or not, but Lowe's has a couple of electric heaters that look like old-fashioned fireplaces. They range in price from $99-$199 and really put out lovely heat. They look amazingly real, I am seriously considering the small one for my 29' Ambassador's living room area as I will be full-time in a month or so. I had the guy plug one up in the store and they are quite impressive. The nice thing about them is the fact that they can be moved around, even outside, and have a little forced-air blower in them. Take a peek, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:00 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
Bob,
I also grew up in Buffalo and swore off the snow thing. Shoveled 8" of it today though. You'll really like your Dickinson stove. We had the Antarctic diesel version in our sailboat, and it would toast you out on the lowest setting. They're made very well and look good!!

Cheers and toasty nights,
Jeff
Equal-i-zer hitch
"Home is where the ART is"
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:59 PM   #41
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Dickinson 9000 propane unit

Well I got my unit yesterday, did the 1 hour burn in outside. ( burns off the oil from the tubing).stinky). So now I will temp mount it in Munimula until I get more of my inside finished. I have a 8100 Olympian that does a grand job of heating this 32' but I just had to have a direct vent unit.This Dickenson is made in Canada and it is truly a First Cabin heater.It has a blower that works well to spread the heat around 12v or a/c.And I will add that quality costs!So I've got something to do this week.Tht nice thing is the hole required is only 3" diameter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	86 Excella 091.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	29965   Click image for larger version

Name:	86 Excella 092.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	29966  

Name:	86 Excella 093.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	29967  

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
It Will Serve You Well

We spent three months last summer in the Beartooth Mtn area, just outside the NE entrance to Yellowstone Park. Most of the camping was above 9000 ft., so the nights are typically very cool [low 40's to low 30's], and the Dickinson fireplace was just great. The airstream was the place of choice for nine of us, sharing the fresh deep fried trout at the evening meal, about three nights a week. Some the best money we have ever spent to make the AS a whole lot more fun to live in. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we have ours. . .

Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay